A kinda different 256 Newton

Jefferry404

AH senior member
Reaction score
My gunsmith thought a 256 Newton would be a nice rifle to have. I looked into Charles Newton and he seemed like a guy to build a rifle after.
Then, my favorite book is "Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa by Arthur Neumann" and the chapter on Lake Rudolph of his goring by a cow elephant and subsequent 3 month convalescent around the lake, is vivid. So I thought to try to capture that struggle with an engraving from a drawing by Millais.

It was hard to find an engraver that was both an artist and hammer and chisel. Found Lisa Tomlin! What a pleasure to work with her. Sent her photos of the drawing (I got lucky and happen to have a first edition with higher quality prints) with my thoughts about the drawing and excerpts from the book. She blended all of these inputs (I also gave her a table book of Millais work) into her engraving.

Lothar Walther octagon barrel with integral front sight base (from the times of Woody!!!), Husqvarna small ring action, Jerry Fisher bottom metal and gripcap with Al Biesen trapdoor buttplate.

Not sure where i got the wood. Hard to capture Lisa's engraving on the round floorplate but it is cool in person as the image changes as the rifle is rotated.

Thanks for looking
Steve

full1_e.jpg

full_e2.jpg

td2_rs.jpg

fp1.jpg

fly_rs.jpg

Truly lovely little rifle. And I can absolutely appreciate the ornithological salute to Neuman. But you will have to help me with the butterfly. A .256 would be perfect for flamingos, herons, and even the stray pelican, but it is decidedly overkill for any of the Lepidopterans. :unsure:

Very neat rifle.
And I must admit I really like that original and coloured little butterfly there. “Dance like a butterfly, …”

Very Nice. Thanks for sharing

My gunsmith thought a 256 Newton would be a nice rifle to have. I looked into Charles Newton and he seemed like a guy to build a rifle after.
Then, my favorite book is "Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa by Arthur Neumann" and the chapter on Lake Rudolph of his goring by a cow elephant and subsequent 3 month convalescent around the lake, is vivid. So I thought to try to capture that struggle with an engraving from a drawing by Millais.

It was hard to find an engraver that was both an artist and hammer and chisel. Found Lisa Tomlin! What a pleasure to work with her. Sent her photos of the drawing (I got lucky and happen to have a first edition with higher quality prints) with my thoughts about the drawing and excerpts from the book. She blended all of these inputs (I also gave her a table book of Millais work) into her engraving.

Lothar Walther octagon barrel with integral front sight base (from the times of Woody!!!), Husqvarna small ring action, Jerry Fisher bottom metal and gripcap with Al Biesen trapdoor buttplate.

Not sure where i got the wood. Hard to capture Lisa's engraving on the round floorplate but it is cool in person as the image changes as the rifle is rotated.

Thanks for looking
Steve

View attachment 568012

View attachment 568013

View attachment 568014

View attachment 568015

View attachment 568016
Please tell us about the 256 Newton , that is a beautiful rifle i would not be game to take it in to the bush hunting it is a work of art.

Thanks for looking
Steve

View attachment 568012

View attachment 568013

View attachment 568014

View attachment 568015

View attachment 568016
@Jeffery 404
Absolutely beautiful work. Another world class engraver in America is our own Australian Damien Conelley. He moved to the USA as Australians were to tight to pay the premiums for his work.
Bob

:giggle:
Neumann was a bit of an anomaly for an elephant hunter. The butterfly was one from his collection and named after him, so appropriate on an elephant rifle. (y)
@Jefferry404
A mohomad Ali rifle. Floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.
Bob
Please tell us about the 256 Newton , that is a beautiful rifle i would not be game to take it in to the bush hunting it is a work of art.
@rdog If my memory serves me correctly the 256 Newton is the original 6.5-06. The 246 was the bore diameter not the groove diameter.
Bob

Wow, the achievements of the early hunters is remarkable.
We need to remember though, that was a different era & market hunting was acceptable!

The .256 Newton was developed by Charles Newton in 1914. Newton was like an early Weatherby. He wanted everything to go near 3000 fps including his other proprietary calibers..30 Newton, 35 Newton, 22 Newton ( about 12 rifles) and 40 Newton ( maybe 4 rifles). Most never reached that goal by were high velocity cartridges. He also made rifles in 30-06. He first imported rifles from Mauser and rechambered them in .256 then in 1916 started manufacturing his first model. He was in business for 16 months and produced about 2400 rifles. All these rifles were takedown models with double set triggers. Three succeeding firms bought out the remaining parts and produced another 1600 Model 1916s to total about 4000 rifles in that model. Newton next imported about 100 rifles, the Model 1922, which were a Mauser barreled action put together by Sauer.

The .256 Newton was developed by Charles Newton in 1914. Newton was like an early Weatherby. He wanted everything to go near 3000 fps including his other proprietary calibers..30 Newton, 35 Newton, 22 Newton ( about 12 rifles) and 40 Newton ( maybe 4 rifles). Most never reached that goal by were high velocity cartridges. He also made rifles in 30-06. He first imported rifles from Mauser and rechambered them in .256 then in 1916 started manufacturing his first model. He was in business for 16 months and produced about 2400 rifles. All these rifles were takedown models with double setThree succeeding firms bought out the remaining parts and produced another 1600 Model 1916s to total about 4000 rifles in that model. Newton next imported about 100 rifles, the Model 1922, which were a Mauser barreled action put together by Sauer.

Sorry, text slipped away.
The Model 1922s are the finest rifles to carry the Newton name. They also had double set triggers although in a new design. They faced each other. Newtons next endeavor was his Model 1924. These rifles ( about 1000 rifles) were not well made and are not popular with collectors.
There are pictures of each model at
newtonrifles.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henryedulk

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.