A day at the range

Your FN A5 is a derivative of Browning's A5 that was designed in 1898. From what I just read that shotgun was produced by one manufacturer or another for 100 years. It is no wonder that John Moses Browning is considered one of the best gun designers that ever lived.
My father owns a FN A5 but his has a browning barrel on it. It’s a real sweet shooting 16 gauge.

True, im aware the glueing wont solve the problem. Pretty sure the problem is three things.
One, the wood is compressed. Two, the fitting is not great. These problems will be solved when i bed it. I will probably have to raise the receiver half a mm in the stock.

And third. Somebody has at some point not thighten down the stock screws. Probably a combination with the compressed wood.

The glue really is a feel good thing more then a real fix.

However, i payed less then $120 for the rifle and the metal is almost in mint condition.
I might go for a Boyds laminated.

Can't go wrong at 120.00- I like that number! Tape the front, sides and bottom of recoil lug. Bed the lug and the pad behind it. Also slightly relieve the area around the rear action screw and bed that at the same time. You can either free float the barrel at the time of bedding or completely bed the entire barrel channel. To free float during the action bedding process get some wide electrical tape and run two layers down the barrel beginning about 1 inch in front of the lug. Bed the first inch of the barrel, the lug, flat and area around rear action screw. Relieve any stress contact areas around magazine or other parts of action. Completely coat the metal and screws with a paste wax like car wax or Johson's, etc. or similar for release. Free floating is tricky because the stock must completely support the barrel that is attached only at the lug/pad and rear action contact. If it flexes enough that the barrel touches the stock, even occasionally when resting on or holding the fore end, shots will be thrown.

Me too about shooting during this virus thing. I've been loading for and taking all manner of lonely rifles to the range- averaging about 4 trips per week for the past 2-3 weeks. Took the 375 Win 70 today- working on two different bullets/loads. Took a new-to-me original Trenton contract M1861 rifle musket and a couple of 22s day before yesterday. So far local range is still available. Fingers crossed it stays so.

For my sanity-- here's some of the safe dwellers that I've taken out for a shoot over the last couple of weeks. My latest acquisition is an original M 1861 Trenton contract rifle musket.

Pics show part of my original Civil War herd. The target pic is the first shot @ 50 yards out of new-to-me M1861 Trenton. :)

60 gr FF Wano, 58 cal N-S Minie, Crisco lubed. POA vs POI was as about normal for these- fine bead at bottom of rear Vee at 6 o'clock on the black- a little high at 50 yds.

M 41, 42, 61, 63.JPG

M 1861 Trenton .png
M 61 Trenton target.JPG

Wow..i like!

I was at the range again today. Tomorrow im off to work again though.
Better make some money so that i can buy more bullets, powder and guns!

I think that there is the possibility that ive already had the virus. I was real sick a couple of weeks ago, and it took several weeks to feel good again after the fever broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois