9.3x74r double

Yea it was cheap and therefore tempting we shall see if they can get it fixed
When I say cheap I really mean affordable not exactly cheap.

Good out come I would say, not sure what you were paying for this double but it would have to be very cheap to even think of keeping it if you couldn't get a refund.

If it came from the factory that way that alone puts the whole rifles workman ship into doubt, it needs sight/ribs lifting/removing, barrel cut back to fresh clean rifling & re-regulation.

As has been said, JJ Perodeau (if he will do it) Aaron Little or Ken Owen will fix "that" problem up nicely.

Might be good thing as you can have it regulated to a load you want for your use, the 9.3X74 is a very good killer with heavy slugs on big game, I have been surprised by this as a lot of my hunters have been using it in recent years.

Suppose I shouldn't as I used the 9.3X62 a fair bit !

On thinking on this a little I wonder if the scope mount or even the scope was added/changed by a less than stellar "Gunsmith" & he did the barrel grinding to get the rifle back on paper as the scope or mount could effect the regulation ?

Saying that from the photos it looks like the scope mounting was well done, that extra claw mount just looks suspicious as it points to two different scopes or one added ?
Any idea what a job like that would cost (chopping it off reregulating etc) I mean ballpark I am having a hard time getting my head around that or a rough estimate

Imho, re-regulating alone will run $1,000 Plus ammo. Plus any other work you have done.

Get it to JJ Perideau. If the seller refuses, you have your answer. I’m wondering if a deep re-crown would address it, but he is the man who will know.

He may also have some insight into what it’s original regulation load was.
The seller said he would prefer to try to figure it out on his own without sending it to a expert and offered the solution I stated above. Works for me as I am not stuck with a gun that may are may not be ok. I was allowed to shoot it and the result is below at 50 meters with 286 grain trophy bonded bear claws from the federal premium line. The main concern is that the barrels are not grouping individually so right barrel is about a 3 inch group with left barrel doing about a 3.5-4 inch group. The groups are centered about 4 inches apart. (Excuse the redneck target) the main issue I have with the shooting is that each barrel is not grouping individually. Is this reasonable accuracy? Or do you think this may be a result of the barrels being ground? The inconsistency concerns me more than anything

32CBEB9C-4E55-4DAF-9FD6-5E1E7F181739.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The seller said he would prefer to try to figure it out on his own without sending it to a expert and offered the solution I stated above. Works for me as I am not stuck with a gun that may are may not be ok. I was allowed to shoot it and the result is below at 50 meters with 286 grain trophy bonded bear claws from the federal premium line. The main concern is that the barrels are not grouping individually so right barrel is about a 3 inch group with left barrel doing about a 3.5-4 inch group. The groups are centered about 4 inches apart. (Excuse the redneck target) the main issue I have with the shooting is that each barrel is not grouping individually. Is this reasonable accuracy? Or do you think this may be a result of the barrels being ground? The inconsistency concerns me more than anything

This is terrible accuracy. It may be the result of the shade tree gun smith’s attention, or it may be regulated to a different load. Unless it’s a no regrets price, allowing you to put $5,000+ into the gun and still be happy, I’d run away.

This is terrible accuracy. It may be the result of the shade tree gun smith’s attention, or it may be regulated to a different load. Unless it’s a no regrets price, allowing you to put $5,000+ into the gun and still be happy, I’d run away.
Fair thank you that is what I was thinking I just wanted to hear it from someone else I guess haha

No that isn't acceptable at all. I would walk away and look for something else.

Each barrel should group in a tight cluster, and the composite group of two rights and two lefts should be 2 1/2-3in group or smaller. Provided the shooter does his part.

"Each barrel should group in a tight cluster, and the composite group of two rights and two lefts should be 2 1/2-3in group or smaller. Provided the shooter does his part."
I agree with Dave.

I have only 2 big bore DR, a .405 and a .458 (for me, big bore begins at .400) and the first thing I did was shoot a test group with each barrel; at 25 yards, and passing that at 100 yards. Both barrels on both rifles were sub minute of angle-- putting at least two shots into the same hole at 100 yards! A good start , showing good potential.

However neither rifle shot acceptable groups of two shots per barrel.
Both rifles were then re-regulated by Aaron Little and now shoot good regulation targets of less that one inch at 50 yards.
In fact, the .458 group holds together out to 100 yards and I recently took a Blackbuck at exactly that range! The 350 SS NF .458 bullet at 2200+ fps MV really slaps down small game.
I plan to try some longer tests on game out to 200 yards soon. And then keep trying larger game until I find something that the load will not kill. My guess is that nothing in Texas will stand up to the load.
I shall try to "do my part".

Last edited:

View attachment 466471
That is terrible accuracy. Each barrel of mine will shoot MOA at 100 yards, 3 shots, not just 2. Even before I found a load that regulated as I wanted (100 yards), none of the tested loads did worse than 1.5" individual barrel groups, at 100 yards, not 50. Somethin' ain't right with that rifle.

Btw, I use targets like that all the time....:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross