9.3X72

I know metric sizes are similar, but using imperial measurement equivalent analogies helps illustrate the difference:

9.3x72R is an extinct cartridge we only own if we like drillings. Think of it as a 30-30 or 38-55. Since black powder is so corrosive we generally don’t want to use it in drilling’s or vierlings worth $3000-$8000 since there are other components of a complex gun to think about.

9.3x74r is a current cartridge equivalent to 9.3x62 so think of it as a 375HH. Loading it with blackpowder sounds like a lot of work to neuter it’s abilities needlessly while creating a mess to clean up on a valuable rifle.

Keep in mind, I’m biased against tinkering in general and if everyone thought like me the world would be a boring place, albeit with less broken guns and more functioning fingers/arms.

I know metric sizes are similar, but using imperial measurement equivalent analogies helps illustrate the difference:

9.3x72R is an extinct cartridge we only own if we like drillings. Think of it as a 30-30 or 38-55. Since black powder is so corrosive we generally don’t want to use it in drilling’s or vierlings worth $3000-$8000 since there are other components of a complex gun to think about.

9.3x74r is a current cartridge equivalent to 9.3x62 so think of it as a 375HH. Loading it with blackpowder sounds like a lot of work to neuter it’s abilities needlessly while creating a mess to clean up on a valuable rifle.

Keep in mind, I’m biased against tinkering in general and if everyone thought like me the world would be a boring place, albeit with less broken guns and more functioning fingers/arms.
There is a reason why you get to start with ten fingers and two arms. Redundancy!

With a heavy lead bullet (hardened just enough to prevent nose-slump), I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the results, particularly with a fine powder and something like a paper-patched Accurate Molds 36-324P. I wouldn't hesitate on a reasonable shot on even an Eland. Long, heavy lead bullets at lower velocity just tear things up (y). Experience: .36 bullet-rifle BP Muzzleloaders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowell37R8

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH