AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I know metric sizes are similar, but using imperial measurement equivalent analogies helps illustrate the difference:

9.3x72R is an extinct cartridge we only own if we like drillings. Think of it as a 30-30 or 38-55. Since black powder is so corrosive we generally don’t want to use it in drilling’s or vierlings worth $3000-$8000 since there are other components of a complex gun to think about.

9.3x74r is a current cartridge equivalent to 9.3x62 so think of it as a 375HH. Loading it with blackpowder sounds like a lot of work to neuter it’s abilities needlessly while creating a mess to clean up on a valuable rifle.

Keep in mind, I’m biased against tinkering in general and if everyone thought like me the world would be a boring place, albeit with less broken guns and more functioning fingers/arms.

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
I know metric sizes are similar, but using imperial measurement equivalent analogies helps illustrate the difference:

9.3x72R is an extinct cartridge we only own if we like drillings. Think of it as a 30-30 or 38-55. Since black powder is so corrosive we generally don’t want to use it in drilling’s or vierlings worth $3000-$8000 since there are other components of a complex gun to think about.

9.3x74r is a current cartridge equivalent to 9.3x62 so think of it as a 375HH. Loading it with blackpowder sounds like a lot of work to neuter it’s abilities needlessly while creating a mess to clean up on a valuable rifle.

Keep in mind, I’m biased against tinkering in general and if everyone thought like me the world would be a boring place, albeit with less broken guns and more functioning fingers/arms.
There is a reason why you get to start with ten fingers and two arms. Redundancy!

Foxi

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.