9.3X64 load data

Which powder can you purchase?
Magnum primer and a burn rate between Norma URP and 204 (just as example) is ideal.

It’s the old Barnes softs by the way not monos. We also have 250’s and some 286gr Normas. I’ve found some of Bruce Moulds entries here via google search.

With 300 grs bullet 2550 fps is a speed where you are still on a safe pressure level. With 250 grs approximately 2750 fps are realistic and safe. This values as personal recommendation.
On the Nosler homepage you can find load suggestions with IMR 4350, start with minimum load and measure the muzzle speed. Then it should work pretty well (and may look like this):

7D0DCDCD-4B10-45E0-AD1C-E2A01693C52F.jpeg

It’s the old Barnes softs by the way not monos. We also have 250’s and some 286gr Normas. I’ve found some of Bruce Moulds entries here via google search.
@gbflyer
Your right @bruce moulds is the go to guru on the 9.3x64 just don't mention nosler partitions to him. He is still recovering from the last time someone said they we good.
Bob

I was able to fire the rifle yesterday. Not unpleasant at all. Slow recoil pulse compared to a .300 magnum. The RWS factory 286 touched close to 2400fps on the MagnetoSpeed.

Maybe collectively we can pick up the 9.3 x 64 torch for our friend Bruce. This is particularly striking to me, as my old friend who built this rifle is sitting next to the campfire too. Hopefully he and Bruce find each other

With 300 grs bullet 2550 fps is a speed where you are still on a safe pressure level. With 250 grs approximately 2750 fps are realistic and safe. This values as personal recommendation.
On the Nosler homepage you can find load suggestions with IMR 4350, start with minimum load and measure the muzzle speed. Then it should work pretty well (and may look like this):

View attachment 393179
Hey Guys, I have been looking at some old post on 9.3’s and am considering building one but am a bit perplexed as to go 62 or 64mm? Having seen some of the loading data provided in forum post thought I would solicit opinions as to which I should pick. I don’t plan to ever scope the rifle as it will be used for close range work on larger African critters. I have a couple of rifles presently that I can sacrifice to get actions for the build but really would like to go with a control feed so may be looking for a Mauser. Who besides RWS makes fodder for the 64? Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

Here’s some information that you might find useful.

I have recently chronographed some 9.3x64 Brenneke RWS 293gr UNI-Classic and it had an average velocity of 2,454 FPS.

It was a slightly heavier rifle and the perceived recoil was comparable to the 9.3x62.

Right now the brass can be obtained from RWS (check Frankonia.de - if you have some friends in Germany). Just the brass can be purchased without a firearm’s licence.

There are other small brass manufacturers in Europe that roll out 9.3x64 (and other harder to find brass as well).

I have contacted one of these manufacturers and to our US friend’s delight they are currently working with a local importer to bring their product to the US market.

Checkout the brass they are currently manufacturing.

Hi Cajun,

The 9,3x64 Brenneke is, to me, an almost perfect design for a 9,3 mm rifle! Having said this, if you are a handloader I would chose the 9,3x62. The difference in muzzle velocity, both loaded at simmilar pressures and barrel lenghts is between 75 and 100 f/s...plus the GREAT factory offerings for the x62 and its almost global presence.
Good luck!

CF

Hi Cajun,

The 9,3x64 Brenneke is, to me, an almost perfect design for a 9,3 mm rifle! Having said this, if you are a handloader I would chose the 9,3x62. The difference in muzzle velocity, both loaded at simmilar pressures and barrel lenghts is between 75 and 100 f/s...plus the GREAT factory offerings for the x62 and its almost global presence.
Good luck!

CF
@Clodo, did you meant to say:

"if you are NOT a handloader I would choose the 9.3x62"?

I agree 100%. There is a significant difference in the versatility between the two 9.3 if you do handload.
320gr bullets can be effectively used in one but not very well in the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s some information that you might find useful.

I have recently chronographed some 9.3x64 Brenneke RWS 293gr UNI-Classic and it had an average velocity of 2,454 FPS.

It was a slightly heavier rifle and the perceived recoil was comparable to the 9.3x62.

Right now the brass can be obtained from RWS (check Frankonia.de - if you have some friends in Germany). Just the brass can be purchased without a firearm’s licence.

There are other small brass manufacturers in Europe that roll out 9.3x64 (and other harder to find brass as well).

I have contacted one of these manufacturers and to our US friend’s delight they are currently working with a local importer to bring their product to the US market.

Checkout the brass they are currently manufacturing.
SHM makes wonderful brass. Please keep us apprised of the importing status!

Hi Veritas,

I meant if you ARE a handloader I would choose de 9,3x62. But, thinking again, agree with you in some way: as a handloader either round will be very good with the added versatility of the x64. And going further, f you can get with relative ease, factory 9,3x64 Brenneke cartridges, I would choose the later. Anyway, the variety of factory offerings for the 9,3x62 is, today, amazing, vs the few 9,3x64 factory loads.

Hi Cajun,

Good luck!

CF
CF, thanks for the wisdom and yes I do roll my own. Found a nice 62 on line and trying to order it now. Keep that powder dry—

I played with both some years ago and I got about 100 to a 150 fps advantage depending on the load, with most loads at max, with both calibers, and could not tell any difference on a Cape Buffalo or Idaho elk. I opted for the great 9.3x62 as to accuracy it seemed, less felt recoil, and components are way more available in these hard times and oh so much cheaper for the 62, but to each his own, just speaking for myself..

uffalo or elk, so I opted for the 9,3x62 based on accuracy and less recoil. Hard to beat the 62 in the field..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg