9.3x62

Best I can figure is Hornady just doesn't see the 9.3mm market justifying their going to the trouble spinning up a bonded DGX bullet for the factory ammo product line and bullet offerings.

I'm not familiar with what they offer in Europe-only products.
@Puddle
Woodleigh do some lovely bonded bullets for the 9.3 in weights upto 320 grains.
Bob

@K95
Ken I tried 2208, 2206H, BM2, 8208 and reloader 15. All gave good results but noting compared to CFE223 for velocity or accuracy in the Whelen for bullets upto 275grains. CFE223 seems to sit between 2208/Varget and 2299/H4350 in burn rate and gives high velocities at acceptable pressures. 2209/H4350 is the best powder for the big 310s the others develop high pressure before you get good velocity. With 2209 and the 310s you run out of case room before you exceed pressure limits even using a looong drop tube you can't get enough powder in to be dangerous. 2209 gives me the best velocity and very small groups. 3 rounds cutting a single hole if I do my part at 100yds.
Bob
How do you go with the 250 gr , what powder and how much grs do you fit in your case.

I find this cartridge interesting. I've enjoyed reading the e-book "9.3x62 Mauser Journal" and I've done a bit of loading and shooting with mine. I'm considering taking it on a future hunting trip and I'd appreciate you sharing any of your experiences with this cartridge.

Thanks,
Bush Buck
Bush Buck, welcome to the following. The 9.3X62 has become my favorite medium bore. I primarily load and shoot either 250grn or 286grn Swift A-Frames. Sometimes Norma Oryx in 286grn. With various powders all have given superb accuracy and better than factory velocities. Everything shoots into small groups! I've used mine in Namibia several times and in 7 weeks I'll be back there hunting again. Terminal performance has been excellent with either DRT or a very short tracking job. Never lost a properly hit animal. Enjoy that rifle. You have a winner.

How do you go with the 250 gr , what powder and how much grs do you fit in your case.
@K95
Ken I uses Speers load of 64 grains of CFE223 for a chronographed velocity of 2,700fps near as dam it.
It's a ball powder so leave plenty of room in the case.
When I found out it was no longer being imported to Australia I stocked up on it. The same with hodgon Superformance I managed to get 5 one pound bottles of that. I use both powders only as needed so they should last a while.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Yup, and I have 300 grain A-Frames and 325 grain Oryx to play with when I get back.

Oops - spoke too loud, I hear the H&H whining again...
Yeah I’m well stocked up on 9.3 projectiles, woodleigh 250 and 286 pp, Norma Oryx and Alaskan 286. A frames in 300 gr and when the Aussie agent for Northfork was getting out of them , I bought all he had in there bonded soft point and a copper solid with a cup in the front, both 286 gr . Does anyone know about these solids as I haven’t tried them yet.

This is the bullet in question. Any information on them and how they perform if someone has used them on game would be appreciated.

8702266E-1F30-4D68-9113-8401B2262F6C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t done so but curious to see what PPU cases hold after firing
I c
Yeah I’m well stocked up on 9.3 projectiles, woodleigh 250 and 286 pp, Norma Oryx and Alaskan 286. A frames in 300 gr and when the Aussie agent for Northfork was getting out of them , I bought all he had in there bonded soft point and a copper solid with a cup in the front, both 286 gr . Does anyone know about these solids as I haven’t tried them y
Yeah I’m well stocked up on 9.3 projectiles, woodleigh 250 and 286 pp, Norma Oryx and Alaskan 286. A frames in 300 gr and when the Aussie agent for Northfork was getting out of them , I bought all he had in there bonded soft point and a copper solid with a cup in the front, both 286 gr . Does anyone know about these solids as I haven’t tried them yet.
I’ve heard the north folk are great Bullets. Both the solids and expanding. I’ve also got some 300 gr swift a frames as well as 320gr woodleigh.
I’ll definitely use the 320 in the 9.3x64 and either the aframes in my x62 or x64.
Planning on taking water buffalo with it using 286gr PPSP and 286gr woodleigh hydros

Thanks for all the great responses. It's apparent that most of the African hunting is done with the 285 range bullets - which seems appropriate.
In the interest of making it a more versatile North American cartridge I am playing with 250s. Does anyone have field experience with the Barnes TSX or TTSX 250s?

i shot a cow buffalo in aftica useing a borrowed MC in 9.3x62 and wanted one of my own and this custom 98 mauser in 9.3x62 came up at a public auction built by a local gunsmith. no one seemed interested in it and i bought it for 450.00 and it is in ex condition in and out. i just started to reload for it useing varget and barnes 250 gr xfb and 286 solids.
DSCN1285.JPG
DSCN1286.JPG
DSCN1287.JPG
DSCN1288.JPG
DSCN1289.JPG
DSCN9562 (4).JPG

My son and I both shoot TTSX's in our 9.3x62’s. He has taken Kudu, Wildebeest, Zebra and more with his. He took his Wildebeest at a little under 300yds. I have taken moose and black bear with mine. All were satisfactorily taken.

The caliber does not seem to be finicky. I shoot a Blaser R8 22” barrel. My load is 62.3 CFE 223 @ 3.291”coal and I get somewhere between 2,500-2,550fps. My son shoots a CZ550 23.6”barrel. His load is 61.0gr’s 2000MR @ 3.35”coal and he gets 2,550fps.

We are both very pleased with our 9.3’s and cannot imagine ever parting with them.

Ver
i shot a cow buffalo in aftica useing a borrowed MC in 9.3x62 and wanted one of my own and this custom 98 mauser in 9.3x62 came up at a public auction built by a local gunsmith. no one seemed interested in it and i bought it for 450.00 and it is in ex condition in and out. i just started to reload for it useing varget and barnes 250 gr xfb and 286 solids.
Very nice rifle.

IMO Dr Kevin Robertson is the preeminent source on the 9.3x62 relative to dangerous game loads. This is especially important for those like me that are not so fond of recoil. His thoughts lean toward a premium 300 grain controlled expansion bullet and are explained in his excellent The Perfect Shot II. Even more coverage on buffalo in general, are covered in his older Africa's Most Dangerous, which I recently sourced.

The related, and more recent comments from Dr Robertson aka doctari505 (see below thread) influenced my load choices for the 9.3x62. Specifically the 300 grain Swift A-Frame at 2,300 fps. I use RL-17.

Post 49 in this thread:

IMO Dr Kevin Robertson is the preeminent source on the 9.3x62 relative to dangerous game loads. This is especially important for those like me that are not so fond of recoil. His thoughts lean toward a premium 300 grain controlled expansion bullet and are explained in his excellent The Perfect Shot II. Even more coverage on buffalo in general, are covered in his older Africa's Most Dangerous, which I recently sourced.

The related, and more recent comments from Dr Robertson aka doctari505 (see below thread) influenced my load choices for the 9.3x62. Specifically the 300 grain Swift A-Frame at 2,300 fps. I use RL-17.

Post 49 in this thread:

After reading that thread I went and worked up a handload using the 300 grain A-Frame. Granted, it is 0.30 grains over the Swift maximum load for RL-15, but it produces an average MV of 2,304 fps across 10 shots. Easily minute of buffalo. I'll be working up another handload using RL-17 next.

I would encourage anyone that owns a 9,3 to read 9,3x62 Mauser Journal by Hendrik Van Der Schyff. You’ll find a lot of super information in it.
+1. Available on Amazon/Kindle. I really enjoyed it.

Hopefully I’ll use my 9.3x62 this year on buff. Got woodleigh 286gr PPSP and woodleigh 286gr hydros as well as Barnes solids if I run out of woodleigh. Also got a 9.3x64 that I’ll use 320gr PPSP in some time and also 300 gr a frames.
Picture of my Brno 600 in 9.3x62
With a custom stock

34BDAC88-08A1-48EB-8463-BA5CB4C6C9D4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!