9,3x62 bullet selection

Bullet construction isn't critical in this calibre due to relatively low velocities. In fact you are probably better off with a y) than a very tough bullet designed for heavy, thick skinned game. A 250gr monometal like Hornady gmax or Barnes tsx is a good option if you can get thhem to group well as it extends range. Nobler partition should also work well given the velocity .Note that this is a big game calibre and that very strong bullets designed for proper big game applications may not expand properly on thin skinned game.
An important consideration is where you are going to be hunting. If in the drier more open regions then go for a 230- 250 gr bullet. If in the bush

I shot several plains game last year with my 9.3x62 using handloaded 250 Barnes TSX bullets. All 1 shot kills. EXCELLENT performance. Also, I downloaded the shot placement app on my iPhone - VERY handy...
Cheers!

Yep, this calibre is seeing a major comeback. Both my son and I are switching to it (in my case from a 338WM) for use on medium to large game in bushed country. The use of 250gr monometals changes its character and makes it as close as you can get to a perfect cartridge for large non dangerous game. With heavier bullets (or even the 250gr monometal) it also does a great job on buffalo, lion, whatever. This is a comfort when hunting in terrain where there is a likelihood of running into dangerous game. The fact that the package is so handy is a huge bonus over bigger calibres like the 375H&H.

My vote goes to the 286 grain Swift A-Frame in the 9.3x62. I used my .375 H &H with 300 grain Swift A-Frame bullets on a 2009 safari to Namibia with most impressive results. IMO you would be hard pressed to find a better bullet!

It actually depends on application. The 9.3 has become popular here as a general bush and large plains game calibre, sometimes requiring fairly long shots - at any rate much longer than on DG. For these applications a 250gr monometal is a better choice as it flies better. A good 250gr monometal is also more than enough for any buffalo (

I have had great luck with the 286 and 300gr A-frames along with 250 gr Accubons in my 9.3x74's. I am taking my x62 this year with the250's.

250gr in any premium bullet is a good choice as an all-rounder (230 in monometals) as it extends the cartridges useful range. However 250gr monometals or 286-300gr conventional bullets are a better option for heavy boned, thick skinned game - this especially as game of that kind is almost invariably shot at relatively close range. Remember that it was the 286gr bullet which made this cartridge famous -and that at V0's well below what we achieve today.

Completely forgot about this thread ! My South African plains game hunt has turned into a Buffalo hunt in Tanzania and the 9,3x62 will have to wait its turn. I'm taking a .375 H&H loaded with 300 grain A-frames and 300 grain CEB solids. 100 days and counting :E Dancing:

Jeez, what horrible luck to have to bit PG on the back burner for a buffalo hunt! P.S. I might hate you. :)

As others have already said one of the beauties of this particular cartridge is that you can pretty much use any bullet without fear of breakup or over - expansion on account of the relatively low velocities. You should get excellent results with either the Norma Oryx or the Nosler Partition. While I am very happy with performance of the Swift A frames in hotter calibers (like the .338 WM) I would not opt for something that strong in the 9.3 unless you are going to be shooting large animals at close range. There is also no need. In fact you don't need anything stronger than a standard 286 Hornady Interlock for plains game with this calibre. I think the Norma is a bit tougher (Oryx's have been used successfully on buffalo), but basically the Hornady is all you need - and they are cheap.
Although you don't favour monometals you would do well to try either the Barnes TTSX or the Hornady GMX - in either case in 250gr. This yields a flatter shooting more versatile load. Having said that ranges in the Northen parts of SA ("bushveld") are generally under 100m, so bullet drop usually isn't an issue.

BTW, note that neither Kudu nor Waterbuck is particularly strong. In fact both are routinely shot with much lighter calibres and either will go down on the spot if correctly shot with a 9.3. The trick is to shoot well forward and in the lower half of the body (about 1/3 up is perfect).
BWB and Zebra are both a lot tougher but again neither will go far if shot correctly.
Note: BWB, have the ability to run a distance even if heart shot , but anything shot in the heart will go down after a short run regardless of calibre. All those stories to the contrary are actually to do with animals which were shot either too high or too far back - or both.

Hi wiml76.
Always I hunt with a bullet ORYX. This is a very good bullet.
This is my first experience with the Interlock.
I bought it out of curiosity.
All the best.
Witold

That was the first bullet I reloaded for mine (Hornady). So far, I haven't even hunted with the rifle yet (I picked it up in January of this year). I get very good accuracy with 62 gr of Alliant Power Pro 2000MR and just a touch over 2400 fps. 62.4 gr is Hornady's published max for that load. I have a Zastava, and IIRC, the barrel is 560mm. I chose the Hornady because I figured it would be an inexpensive way to practice.

I think you and I have discussed other loads before. I picked up some NAB and Partitions on clearance, and between you and @Montana Rifle Company 's Ron Petty, I'm convinced to also try Oryx.

On another forum I frequent, a lot of the guys swear by Ramshot Big Game for their 9.3x62, getting right at 2600 fps with something like 66gr under NAB 250. That's firmly in 338 WM territory on weight and velocity.

I shot my first (and only so far) white tail this year with my 45-70, but will be going back for another week of hunting later this month. I'll bring my 9.3 and my 6.5x55

can you get 2400 from a 286 gn bullet in the 9.3x62?
if so said bullet will be doing around 2700 at 300 yds.
while swift aframes are considered "tough", their jackets are pure maleable copper, and it is suspected that their cores are soft lead.
they expand down to 1700 fps, while many others will not do so below 2000.
yet at near muzzle velocity they will not fail.
they also seem to expand some on lighter targets, as well as hold together on heavy targets and bone.
from small p.g. up to eland they can be relied upon, and will protect you should something dangerous come into the equation unexpectedly.
a good argument for getting used to 1 load for everything.
bruce.

My chrony said 2420 on those Hornady 286s.

zim,
that is a powerful load and versatile too.
bruce.

Agreed. I was prepared to be happy at 2325.

If you're interested...
Norma Brass
CCI large rifle
2000MR 62 gr
Hornady 286
seated right to the top of the cannelure.

Hornady lists 3.125" for COAL. Even at the top of the cannelure, these are 3.165". Frankly, I think Hornady is on crack for a COAL that short, but YMMV.

zim,
i also ponder such things, and the x64 is a bit similar.
i surmize that these rounds might have been originally designed to fit in 8x57 magazines, where many modern mags are 30/06 length.
coal is critical in 2 areas, 1) afore mentione mag length, and 2) ogive touching lands.
for hunting, as long as rounds fit the mag and clear the rifling slightly that is all that matters.
some factory rifles are throated seperately to chambering, and in some cases this process is overdone, probably on monday mornings and friday afternoons.
ruger used to be known for this particularly.
the long bearing surface of the 300 gn swift aframe 9.3mm bullet needs to be taken into account with coal and rifling contact.
the hornady bullet in your load might behave differently terminally than at factory muzzle velocity.
they could be a better killer of big game than the 286 partition, and would certainly be more predictable in terminal performance.
i bought a 9.3x64 throating reamer for my gun to extand the throat a little in order to use the 300 gn swift at full mag length with about 0.030" jump.the throat angle in about 1/2 degree, an angle that is condusive to not having high pressures.
i am thinking of trying a 284 win barrel at this angle in an fclass rifle one day.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg