9.3x62 ammo choice

coolusername

AH member
Joined
Sep 21, 2025
Messages
27
Reaction score
38
What’s up everyone. I just got a Sauer 100 field ethos in 9.3x62 and I’m taking it to South Africa in May to hunt plains game. Who has experience with this round and maybe this rifle and what bullet are you shooting?
 
What company actually manufactures the Field Ethos firearms or is this just the Sauer model name?
 
Whatever you can shoot accurately. You're hunting PG, most of the factory ammo squirts out at around 2350. Your Sauer has a 21" BBL, I believe, at least the 1 I bought for my son does; so expect 25 - 50 fps slower than the box says.

I used my 9.3 for BWB, zebra, and a cape buffalo in 2024, 1 shot each, custom loads with Swift A Frames. BWB was flattened, zebra and buff both ran off 40 or 50 yards.
 
I'm heading out in May as well. Using my CZ 550 in 9.3x62. I'm planning to use 286 gr partitions. My 9.3 isn't picky and pretty much shoots whatever you stuff in it. But partitions are a good compromise, they open well on light game but still give adequate penetration on larger animals. Depending on what's on your list, there's lots of options.
 
I'm heading out in May as well. Using my CZ 550 in 9.3x62. I'm planning to use 286 gr partitions. My 9.3 isn't picky and pretty much shoots whatever you stuff in it. But partitions are a good compromise, they open well on light game but still give adequate penetration on larger animals. Depending on what's on your list, there's lots of options.
Where are you going on your trip?
 
Good morning,
I'm planning a trip for 2027, probably to RSA and likely Limpopo. I'll be hunting PG, including eland. I'll also be bringing a 9.3x62. What are your opinions on RWS EVO 291gr ammunition? And Lapua MEGA 285gr? thanks.
 
I have taken a 9.3x62 to Africa twice. First trip 286 Aframes. Took Eland, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, nyala. Eland was over 200yards or so away (recovered several bullets) shortest shot was Nyala less than 100yards. I also used 232 Norma oryx loaded lighter for my son to use it as well. He shot a blue wildebeest at a distance way further than I would have preferred him to shoot, but the PH had full confidence in it and he indeed killed it. Bullet did well. I shot a warthog with same bullet later in trip.

Next trip over used 286 partitions. Took gemsbuck, sable, Impala. They did really well also.

Killed a deer and several coyotes here in VA with a 250 accubond it did really well, and another deer with 286 partition and it also killed very well

Used a 286 lapua mega bullet on a coyote with a 9.3x74, and just about cut it in half. I ended up finding the bullet after digging far enough thru the dirt and leaves.

I would take any of those bullets for plains game, even eland without hesitation. I love Partitions and aframes! 250 accubonds I have not used in Africa, but they do shoot the with flattest trajectory, and would use them without hesitation over there, but I love the partitions and aframes…..

All of mine were ammo tuned for my rifle. They all shoot extremely well, but my rifle is not picky and shoot anything I have tried well. Partitions and accubonds have given me the best accuracy. I used varget powder on accubond and oryx loads, and big game in the others. I am getting better speeds than factory ammo. I cannot comment on factory ammo much. I have some Norma 286 oryx factory ammo I bought and it shoots extremely well, but I have never used it to kill anything (yet). It is honestly probably not going to get used anytime soon either. I take pride in my ammo and it’s just what I like to use. Sort of like flyfishing and using my own flies…
 
Last edited:
I have taken a 9.3x62 to Africa twice. First trip 286 Aframes. Took Eland, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, nyala. Eland was over 200yards or so away (recovered several bullets) shortest shot was Nyala less than 100yards. I also used 232 Norma oryx loaded lighter for my son to use it as well. He shot a blue wildebeest at a distance way further than I would have preferred him to shoot, but the PH had full confidence in it and he indeed killed it. Bullet did well. I shot a warthog with same bullet later in trip.

Next trip over used 286 partitions. Took gemsbuck, sable, Impala. They did really well also.

Killed a deer and several coyotes here in VA with a 250 accubond it did really well, and another deer with 286 partition and it also killed very well

Used a 286 lapua mega bullet on a coyote with a 9.3x74, and just about cut it in half. I ended up finding the bullet after digging far enough thru the dirt and leaves.

I would take any of those bullets for plains game, even eland without hesitation. I love Partitions and aframes! 250 accubonds I have not used in Africa, but they do shoot the with flattest trajectory, and would use them without hesitation over there, but I love the partitions and aframes…..

All of mine were ammo tuned for my rifle. They all shoot extremely well, but my rifle is not picky and shoot anything I have tried well. Partitions and accubonds have given me the best accuracy. I used varget powder on accubond and oryx loads, and big game in the others. I am getting better speeds than factory ammo. I cannot comment on factory ammo much. I have some Norma 286 oryx factory ammo I bought and it shoots extremely well, but I have never used it to kill anything (yet). It is honestly probably not going to get used anytime soon either. I take pride in my ammo and it’s just what I like to use. Sort of like flyfishing and using my own flies…


It sounds like I can’t go wrong with any of these. It’s just a matter of finding them in stock. There seems to be a lot of hornady dangerous game everywhere but I feel like there’s a reason it’s in stock and so much of it compared to everything else….
 
Are you a handloader? or planning on using factory ammo?
 
Most any of the 286gr loads will work great for your purposes. Buy a box of several different brands and see what your rifle likes best.

If you start reloading drop me a DM and I will help with some load data.
 
Hunted KZN in April 2025 exclusively with my 9.3. Took a Nyala (high neck, DRT), Zebra (same, same) and a Cape Buff. The buffalo was in some thick stuff and after the bellow and walking up to him, he was where he was when he stood up. All 1 shot trophies. Loaded Barnes 286 TSX using IMR 4064 as full as the case would allow and spinning it. Checked for pressure signs. For PG alone, I would opt for a Woody 232 or 250 or probably a 250 TSX.

The baby buffalo was standing there bleeting. I bet he was born within 2 days of us walking upon him. What a sight.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6159.jpeg
    IMG_6159.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2752.jpeg
    IMG_2752.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8228.jpeg
    IMG_8228.jpeg
    9.6 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4886.jpeg
    IMG_4886.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
What’s up everyone. I just got a Sauer 100 field ethos in 9.3x62 and I’m taking it to South Africa in May to hunt plains game. Who has experience with this round and maybe this rifle and what bullet are you shooting?
Great cartridge. Rifle is not the most traditional but a solid make.

My favorite factory load for the 9.3x62mm Mauser, is the 285Gr Norma Oryx. Perfectly adequate for all African plains game, leopard, lion & broadside shots on Cape buffalo.
 
It sounds like I can’t go wrong with any of these. It’s just a matter of finding them in stock. There seems to be a lot of hornady dangerous game everywhere but I feel like there’s a reason it’s in stock and so much of it compared to everything else….
You can always order something from Hendershots.

I'd stick with 286 gr.

It would be easier to say which 9.3 bullets I have not worked up loads for than ones I have. What I've leared (see what i did there?) is that there's no real benefit to going with lighter bullets. The speed you might gain is offset by the lower BC of the lighter bullets - except for Accubond. But even with an Accubond at 2550 vs just about any 286 gr at 2350, you're just not flat enough at any ordinary shooting distance that it makes any practical difference, and you might get down to 30 ft lbs of recoil instead of 35.

I'm not saying "don't go with a lighter bullet", just saying don't go out of your way to try and find them. If you find a good deal on 250 gr NAB, North Fork, or Barnes, that's fine. But none of them are worth holding out for if you find 286 gr A Frame, TSX, North Fork SS, Partition, Oryx, Mega, even Hornady Interlock.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,338
Messages
1,573,297
Members
169,736
Latest member
FernKon189
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top