8x68s barrel

Bert Reynolds

AH veteran
Joined
May 30, 2019
Messages
132
Reaction score
139
Hi there. Looking to order a barrel for an 8x68s. I have heard some mixed reviews on recoil and barrel weight. Which of the 2 below would be most suitable?
IMG_9644.JPG
IMG_9643.JPG
 
I would get the lighter barrel. I shoot the 8x68s out of a Blaser R8. Its muzzle is 17mm/.66. It shoots great. Recoil is similar to a .300WM, no big deal. I shoot anything from 160gr to 250gr bullets in mine. In my opinion the heavier barrel will be clunky.
 
What is the ywist rate? 1 in 11 is the standard.
 
24" the thicker one
26" the thinner one

I would go 26" in that caliber with a 1 in 11 twist....
 
The Blaser barrel is 24.75” from bolt face to muzzle with a 1:11 twist.
 
24" the thicker one
26" the thinner one

I would go 26" in that caliber with a 1 in 11 twist....

Twist is 1 in 11. I’m leaning towards the thinner. It’s still slightly heavier than my 9.3x62 and my 300 weatherby. And I find both fine to shoot. If I went the heavier I would go 24 inch.
 
Thoughts on a 9.4 twist for the 8x68s?? I was thinking of using an 8x57s barrel because it's a little over 200 bucks les than a 8x68s.
 
Get the sporter. The barrel on my 8x68S Mauser 66 is a 25.5" sporter profile and it's plenty accurate for hunting. The recoil is fine, just practice. You're going to notice that extra weight of the heavy profile when you start carrying it long before the benefit of any less recoil.
Grumpy gumpy makes a good point about the importance of a good stock.
8x68S is just a cool cartridge.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,422
Messages
1,575,691
Members
170,375
Latest member
Audra61176
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top