8x57 projectiles

csmiffy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand
Ummed and ahhed about putting this in reloading but opted for more of a general forum.
Apologies if it's in the wrong spot like I did with the 416 thread of mine
just recently added a Czech Mauser to the menagerie. Got a packet of PMC 170grs, a mixed packet of 196gr norma and S+B soft points and bought 2 packets of GECO 184gr's.
All of these seem to have respectable velocities and if I could afford it I should really get some more of the GECO stuff as it is pretty affordable and you should see the big lead tip on the round nose. It looks savage
Going forward (probably won't shoot it enough to warrant it) what would be a good projectile to use?
hearing good things about the 170gr SST to flatten the old 8x57 out. Part of me would like to try 180gr ballistic tips but these are quite a tough bullet I believe, so maybe not. Don't go near enough big red stags to warrant these if the case sadly.
edit-it is a VZ24 I think but a sporter with a timney trigger. Not military
Thoughts?

Ummed and ahhed about putting this in reloading but opted for more of a general forum.
Apologies if it's in the wrong spot like I did with the 416 thread of mine
just recently added a Czech Mauser to the menagerie. Got a packet of PMC 170grs, a mixed packet of 196gr norma and S+B soft points and bought 2 packets of GECO 184gr's.
All of these seem to have respectable velocities and if I could afford it I should really get some more of the GECO stuff as it is pretty affordable and you should see the big lead tip on the round nose. It looks savage
Going forward (probably won't shoot it enough to warrant it) what would be a good projectile to use?
hearing good things about the 170gr SST to flatten the old 8x57 out. Part of me would like to try 180gr ballistic tips but these are quite a tough bullet I believe, so maybe not. Don't go near enough big red stags to warrant these if the case sadly.
edit-it is a VZ24 I think but a sporter with a timney trigger. Not military
Thoughts?
Can you find any 195 grain hornady interlock spitzers? They should do a pretty good job of shooting flat. Flat shooting means different things to different people by the way... I shoot airguns a lot so dropping 15" at 300 yards is totally acceptable to me, but may not be for you.

What are you looking to hunt with it? You said likely no red stag. I've heard feral goats seem to be a problem in parts of New Zealand... or will it just be a range gun? For an 8mm you probably don't need premium bullets for anything less than 400-500 lbs.

I primarily shoot the Barnes 160 TTSX. It's a great bullet for the 8X57. I get it up to around 2800+ fps. Plenty of other bullets work very well also. For the 160's I use IMR3031 and H4895. For heavier bullets, 180-220gr, I use CFE223.

@ChrisG not a lot of goats close to me and a few other smoke poles in the battery that would be more suited so not too worried about that.
Still shooting red deer and it may indeed see a stag just not a lot of them. A Tahr would be the next toughest animal but not really a mountain climber myself so doubt that.
I seem to accumulate these things instead of using them. Damn work-life balance and money lol
Had a bit of a look and there are some of those 195grs available if I did indeed go that way.
Just thought a little lighter, faster and flatter might be better. Definitely not a range gun.
Dollarwise their 195s are $15nz a box of 100 more than SST's. The cheapest I found looking just now is 75NZ bucks for the SSt's and $90 for the Interlocks from the same supplier. + freight of course.
Ballistic tips from the same supplier are 73 dollars for 50 on one site but 60 on another.
Only giving process for comparison sake.
@dchamp A good fellow on another forum I am on has recommended the 180grTSX nudging 2650fps. He shot a lot of camels, scrub cattle and brumbies (wild horses) with this and said it flattened them.
I do like what you say about the 160s but after a similar search to the Hornadies above, doesn't seem like much around although that can be said about a lot of projectiles here in NZ.
You do not want to see what some of the premium 6,5 projectiles (or any of them really) are going for
If I was using a 3006 I wouldn't need 200gr projectiles. 180ish would be heaps and 165 probably pretty close ideal just on the light side. that's sort of why I was steering away from the 190 and up range.

I have had good luck on accuracy with Hawk bullets, but my 8x57 is the J rimmed at .318 diameter.
I am now working up loads with GS custom bullets with the driving bands, and expect greater velocity as advertised due to lower pressure workups. It would be my choice for mono metal bullets due to easy expansion at lower velocities. I would be a little nervous about lower velocities with TSX. The 196 gr factory bullets loaded in Sellier & Bellot are soft, but so long they still work well on white tail deer. If I had the .323 diameter Mauser, I would have other choices. Good luck--it is a very effective cartridge with a long history on boar and larger in Europe. BTW, I made two 250 yd. laser measured shots with it in my Funk drilling!

GS custom HV bullets can be had in 8x57 in the 150 gr. range

@steve white good advice but my initial searching on those projectiles shows they aren't readily available here in NZ and are quite expensive when you do get them.
They are a bit like the federal edge/terminal ascent type projectiles with a main copper body and a lead filled tip? Very basic analogy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg