7x57 Ammunition

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by RWilliams, Jan 25, 2018.

1. RWilliams

RWilliams AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    British Association of Shooting and Conservation
    I have a 7x57 which I am considering taking as a backup rifle on a plains game hunt in Namibia. It's twist rate means that it is more accurate with lighter bullets (I'm currently using Federal Powershock 140 grain) rather than anything heavier (including Norma Oryx 156 grain).
    I would like to get some custom loads, probably with Barnes TTSX, but any recommendations on bullet weight would be appreciated.

2. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    156 gr Oryx is a superb bullet. Have you actually tried it in your rifle? My Rigby .275 is MOA to sub MOA with 140 - 170 gr bullets. I also have a petit custom 7x57, and it handles 140 - 156 gr loads with equal accuracy.

3. browningbbr

browningbbr AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Northeast Wisconsin Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Tanzania
    I suggest the Barnes 140gn TSX. My wife uses this bullet in her 7mm and it has performed very well on warthog, springbok and pronghorn. I recovered the bullet from the pronghorn (Texas heart shot) and it weighed back at 140gn after cleaning.

4. RWilliams

RWilliams AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    British Association of Shooting and Conservation
    My rifle has a 1 in 10 twist, and Norma Oryx wouldn't group anything like as well as the Federal's when I tried a box at the range.

5. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I would say anything 120 grain and up... a 140 grain TTSX is going to be just as long as a 156 grain onyx if not longer. 1-10" twist should stabilize the trap. You're right though, a Mauser built for long bullets would be a 1-9" or less. Military Mauser's were optimized for 175 grain and had a 1-8.66" twist.

6. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru

Im building a 7x57 currently, using a small ring mauser action and a 1:9.5" twist green mountain barrel..

I've had good success loading 150gr tsx for my 7mm WSM.. and am hopeful that the 7x57 will like the 150gr barnes too (it would keep things simple)..

If the 150's dont work out my next plan was to try the 175's and see how they shoot.. although I think they might be a bit long in a tsx for the 1:9.5 twist..

7. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    The only way to really find out is to try it!!(y)... and then tell us about your results!

8. BenKK

BenKK AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    We killed a couple dozen buffalo plus boars, wild dogs and feral donkeys all with 175 grain Woodleigh PPSNs.

9. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    My son has a 7x57. I loaded him 140gr North Fork bonded cores. His most impressive shot was on a quartering frontal shot. Bullet went thru the thick part of the left shoulder, passed across the top of the heart severing all of the blood vessels and came to rest at the back of the right shoulder. Bullet was a perfect mushroom and maybe lost 0.5gr of weight.

Zebra dropped at the shot and would never have moved if it wasn't for the JRT that was on back sided almost immediately. The stallion got up and went 20 yards and dropped dead.

Not bad performance for the little 7. He also knocked down a very nice nyala bull with that rifle.