7mm STW

no kidding, I've been hunting for 300wsm for ages
I have like 10 or 15 pieces of R-P 300 WSM brass. I used to own a Ruger Frontier Rifle in .300WSM. Then I realized that I could get the same velocity from a 16" barrel with a .308 and a heck of a lot less powder. If I'd had a longer barrel it would have been a different story. I'll send you the brass I have if you just pay the shipping.

8x68......................sounds like a fun project. How did you decide on the 7 STW over the other 7mm's ( 7 Dakota, 7 RUM, etc) ? just curious..............FWB
Don't know to be honest. Just go through a reloading manual and think "hmmm I wonder if we can do that" I have a 358 Norma Mag currently being built on a CZ 550 Mag donor rifle in 7mm Rem Mag.
7mm STW seems to be a more potent long range cartridge that the Dakota or RUM

The only problem I can see with it... and it may not be a problem for you, but most of the tremendously overbore cartridges require very VERY long barrels to accomplish their stated velocity. I don't usually like mine longer than 23" if I can help it. Just thought I'd mention that. Oh and muzzle blast will likely be hellacious owing to all that powder squeezing down that tiny tube. If you end up having one built, might I suggest going brake-less. It will really save your ears. I know from earlier posts that you have experience with truly large bore rifles that kick much harder so this one should be like shooting a .243 comparatively. Other than that. I can't see an issue with downloading it as long as you don't go nuts and drop powder charges to the point that the case looks like the bottom half of an hourglass right after its tipped. Detonation does some nasty stuff to otherwise nice rifles. Best of luck!
Thanks. I was looking at least 26" - 28" barrel. May not do much with it just take it up to the range a few times a year. If I get the opportunity to hunt out in western Canada in may bring it along. Never liked muzzle breaks. They have there place just not on the end of my rifles.

8x68.................I'll bet that the 7 STW turns out to be a very potent long range cartridge indeed..............although in case capacity it is considerably smaller than the 7 RUM, (90 grains water compared to 105 grains water each with similar bullet) and about same as the Dakota. ..............in practical terms it will probably do just as much.............good luck with the project......FWB

I had a Sako in 7STW for a number of years and it was extremely accurate and I killed a lot of game with it. I now have a 7RM and not certain I notice any difference. I've got nothing bad to say about the STW though.

I couldn't agree more. My hunting buddy has one built on a Sako action, and I've had 7mm Rem Mags since 1980. Not enough real world difference to worry about IMO.

8x68.................I'll bet that the 7 STW turns out to be a very potent long range cartridge indeed..............although in case capacity it is considerably smaller than the 7 RUM, (90 grains water compared to 105 grains water each with similar bullet) and about same as the Dakota. ..............in practical terms it will probably do just as much.............good luck with the project......FWB
Thanks. It seems that everyone owns or has owned (including myself) a 7mm Rem Mag. As some have figured out on this forum I like to be different. If you like a 7mm RM I like a 7mm STW. If you like a 8mm Rem Mag I like a 8x68, etc.

Update. Well after annoying several gunsmiths with "can I do this or can I do that" with this donor rifle I found myself an original Rem 700 SS DBM in 7mm STW that has not been used much. I was able to score about 350 rounds of once fired and new brass & ammo also. So it's on to the next project.........I can hear groans of "OH NO it's him again" from gunsmiths.
Thank you for all that replied to my queries and offered advice.

Layne Simpson, who invented and developed the 7 STW, said he has somewhere over 1,000 rounds through his original 7mm STW and still shoots under an inch. I would think 2,000 rounds is a reasonable life for a 7STW barrel. I think I read the 30-378s last a little less than 1,000 for competition accuracy. As long as you're not shooting prarie dog towns with it, should last you a long time.

Dad has a Remington Sendero 7mm STW and loves it. He had a great time at Blaauwkrantz with it, and has used it here on red deer, fallow, camels, donkeys, horses, buffalo and scrubbers. And pigs, dogs, foxes and goats. He swears by Barnes TSX.

Well I sold the Remington because I found myself a Win M70 Classic in 7mm STW. I had preferred the Mauser action to start with but couldn't find one. I put a Zeiss HD5 in 2.5-10x40 Z600 on it so hopefully it shoots well. Just have to find somewhere where I can buy powder by the barrel. 7mm STW's are hungry little buggers!

A friend of mine has had an STW for several years and taken mule deer, whitetails, black bear and an antelope. He uses a 160 Nosler Accubond for everything.
Now, if it was me, and I wanted a fast 7 mag, I'd go with the 7mm Weatherby. My reasoning is that STW brass and ammo is hard to come by and expensive. The Weatherby basicly splits the difference between the 7mm Rem mag and the STW velocity wise and has readily available brass and ammo.

A friend of mine has had an STW for several years and taken mule deer, whitetails, black bear and an antelope. He uses a 160 Nosler Accubond for everything.
Now, if it was me, and I wanted a fast 7 mag, I'd go with the 7mm Weatherby. My reasoning is that STW brass and ammo is hard to come by and expensive. The Weatherby basicly splits the difference between the 7mm Rem mag and the STW velocity wise and has readily available brass and ammo.
The good news is that Hornady is now producing brass for the 7mm STW.
I made an oopsy on the Zeiss scope specs. Should be 2-10x42 Rapid Z600

I have a 7stw now and have bought and sold several over the last decade. The one I currently have shoots the 160 accubond extremely accurately. I’ve only taken deer and antelope with mine but no complaints and lots of praise. I broke the original stock and am sending it to accurate innovations for a new beautiful wood one. Mine does have a custom barrel with a brake but I generally keep a thread protector on it instead. Enjoy yours!

I have a 7STW in a Ruger #1B stainless steel but I have not shot it in a few years. It's plenty accurate enough. I shot 160gr Accubonds with 81.5gr's of VVN570 and WLRM primers. I averaged a little over 3150fps if I remember right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,