7mm Rem Mag

a lot depends on the rifle, what is the twist rate, my 7mm doesn’t shoot bullets heavier than 168 gr. very well, it’s 1-9 twist so doesn’t stabilize heavier bullets quite as well, it will shoot them just not as accurate as lighter bullets, it loves the 168 gr VLD and 160 gr. Accubond. I’ve taken Elk, Deer just fine with these, the Berger VLD has been flawless In all situations.

I believe that when the 7mm Rem Mag was introduced 175g was the "goto" bullet. It might not stabilize monolithics well, but I think it's fine for A-Frames and the like.

I just booked my first safari in South Africa. I'm going to take my 7mm rem mag with me, so I'm looking for ammunition for it. My PH recommends Swift a-frame or Barnes TSX. Does anyone have either of these they would like to sell?
My 280AI is pushing 175 gr Nosler Partitions at ~2740 fps.

I would recommend any 7mm 175 gr bullet in the 2700 - 2800 fps MV neighborhood and a BC of maybe .45 or higher.

I'm a big fan of Norma Oryx. Great bullet, but terrible BC in both the 156 & 170 gr. I had really good groups with the 156, but for my purposes, I needed a good group at around 3000 - 3050 fps, and I just couldn't get there. If you find a good deal on the 156 or 170, I wouldn't turn them down.

a lot depends on the rifle, what is the twist rate, my 7mm doesn’t shoot bullets heavier than 168 gr. very well, it’s 1-9 twist so doesn’t stabilize heavier bullets quite as well, it will shoot them just not as accurate as lighter bullets, it loves the 168 gr VLD and 160 gr. Accubond. I’ve taken Elk, Deer just fine with these, the Berger VLD has been flawless In all situations.
That's not likely a stabilization issue. A 9.5 twist is fast enough to stabilize all but the longest 175 gr bullets like Accubond LR, TSX, and Hammer bullets longer than the 160 gr Hammer Hunter.

Berger has an online twist calculator if you're interested.

My twist rate is 1:9.5.

I'm currently waiting on an order of 160gr Swift A-frame and 160gr Barnes TSX to arrive. Once I get them and the weather allows I will test.

I have not been able to find the 170gr Norma Oryx yet.

My twist rate is 1:9.5.
My 280 AI is a Savage as well. Not sure why they don't just follow the rest of the industry and do a 9 or faster

I'm currently waiting on an order of 160gr Swift A-frame and 160gr Barnes TSX to arrive. Once I get them and the weather allows I will test.

I have not been able to find the 170gr Norma Oryx yet.
I got stellar groups with 160 gr A Frames right at 3k fps, but I've been waiting more than a year for them to show up in stock somewhere. I finally gave up and went with 175 Partitions, which are now themselves unobtanium.

I have written some scripts to web-scrape all the big vendors, hit up ammoseek and wikiarms 2 or 3 times a week as well.

I need to script my searches for those 2 also, just haven't gotten around to it yet

I bought five boxes of CoreLokt 175g at $35 box just to get used to my rifle and sight it in. Waitin for warmer weather. Plan to use the cases to reload, but in a pinch I'm sure they'll do for elk or deer.

I bought five boxes of CoreLokt 175g at $35 box just to get used to my rifle and sight it in. Waitin for warmer weather. Plan to use the cases to reload, but in a pinch I'm sure they'll do for elk or deer.

They might be the opposite of monometals, but I'm pretty sure you'll have predictable success with CoreLokt 175's through the 7mag. They seem to shoot well enough through most rifles, I've experienced.

Thanks I'll chrono them after I get my rifle sighted in and shoot some groups. I'm guessing velocity around 2700 fps (CoreLokts seem to be lower than advertised) which would work well. My goal is to load some 175g A-Frames to 3000 fps. Not in a hurry though.

Thanks I'll chrono them after I get my rifle sighted in and shoot some groups. I'm guessing velocity around 2700 fps (CoreLokts seem to be lower than advertised) which would work well. My goal is to load some 175g A-Frames to 3000 fps. Not in a hurry though.
I think that's optimistic, even for a 7mm RM.

2750 with that AF should get you to about 550 or 600 yards at 5k feet elevation, and around 800 yards at really high altitude 10k feet or so - and still be right at 2k fps

Reactions: RLL
What have you been using for ammo in the States, does it shoot straight has it been killing the animals, if it has shoot what you been shooting

I like Nosler accubond or partition Hornady has all kinds of good bullets Federal premium has very good choices

Federal packaged the 160 Grain TBBC in 7mm RM, but I am not sure they still offer it.

I like the 160 Grain Nosler Partition in the 7mm RM and have killed both deer and bull elk with this combination. It is effective and based on my experieince with PG it will work fine.. As a substitute for the SAF I would consider the Norma Oryx bonded bullet.

A couple years ago, Sportsman Warehouse was running ammo auctions on GB. I bought a case (200 rounds) of Federal 175 gr TBBC in 7mm RM for around $400 all in. I thought $40 per box was a good price. My dad's old Ruger M77 loves them, shooting a 5 shot, one inch group at 100 yards. I plan to use this set up on a West Texas Aoudad hunt one of these days.

That's not likely a stabilization issue. A 9.5 twist is fast enough to stabilize all but the longest 175 gr bullets like Accubond LR, TSX, and Hammer bullets longer than the 160 gr Hammer Hunter.

Berger has an online twist calculator if you're interested.
Im pushing 160 shock hammers safely out of a factory rem 700-26” 9.25”twist to 3200fps…they absolutely “hammered” everything we hunted last summer in SA from 50 to 200 yards. You can’t ask for much more but 400 mbpr….

Im pushing 160 shock hammers safely out of a factory rem 700-26” 9.25”twist to 3200fps…they absolutely “hammered” everything we hunted last summer in SA from 50 to 200 yards. You can’t ask for much more but 400 mbpr….
7mm or 280ai?

Very excited about shooting and going hunting with my new to me BDL in 7mm Rem Mag :)

l2y3xds.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimber12N1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH