7mm-08: What is your opinion as a plains game rifle?

My CZ 550 H&H feels no worse than 12 gauge shooting 2 3/4 loads

... and then when you break the trigger of you 375 H&H on your first animal in Africa the felt recoil of the rifle is similar to a 22.(y)

Even if some of us think that the recoil from a .375 is totally fine and even fun to shoot with, there are still many that are not able to shoot well with one.
No matter how much they practice with it at a shooting range.
A good recoil pad and a well fitting stock is extremely important for felt recoil, but still there are people that are more recoil shy than others.
And it has nothing to do with what size you are or how much man you are.
I highly recommend test shooting a well fitting rifle in .375 at a shooting range before buying one.

A 375 H&H is not a must have for African Plains game. I just recently returned from a trip and it was the first time I had taken a rifle larger than my 300 WinMag. The previous trip, I took the 300 and a 7-08. This trip did include the 375, but it was intended for the smaller species on my list using solid bullets like oribi and red duiker. I ended up taking three species with the 375, an oribi, bushpig and zebra. Any of these species could have been taken with the 300, but I chose to use the 375 instead.

My recommendation is to take a rifle that you would be comfortable taking elk hunting. My friend took his 30-06 shooting 150 gr AccuBond bullets and most of them made two holes including kudu, oryx, waterbuck and blue wildebeest.

Good luck with your choice!

Several of the other guys will have more detailed answers and more science but I went through this same decision process a little over a year ago.

I was really concerned about the 375 recoil but heck other guys shoot much larger guns so I figured I could learn to shoot it. And I wanted one! The 375 H & H is the quintessential African caliber. You can look up the foot pounds of recoil, but the answer to the "felt" recoil is "it depends". The first 375 I came across was a synthetic stocked Browning A bolt that weighed about 6.5 pounds. That one scared me and I wanted controlled round feed (I would not argue too hard that you must have CRF, but I wanted it). The recoil from a CZ 550 with a scope and full mag is not going to feel anything like that light weight A bolt.

What I was told and now with some experience, I would concur... A 375 H & H is more of a hard push than say a 300 Win Mag which is more of a punch. The 375 does not feel as "snappy". But it is noticeably more than a 30-06. I had the same prior experience you mention, 30-06 and 12 gauge, before I bought my 375.

It does seem like it makes a difference if I shoot 300 grains vs. 270 grain bullets... I want to try the new Hornady 250 grain GMX boat tail bullets loaded with Superformance powder (when I find them). I am hopeful they will make really great all around plains game bullets with great ballistics.

Bob
how much worse than a .30-06? I am thinking of an x bolt, so the weight should be around 6.5 pounds. Should I heavy it up a bit with lead in the butt? I did that with a synthetic 06 and it helped. What would ideal weight be? 8 lb?

Heck I don't know, worse! If you wanted it dampened on a light weight 30-06, go with a heavier gun like a Winchester 70 or CZ 550. Or add a mercury damper into the stock but why not go all the way and have CRF as well? Of course if you really like the Xbolt, go ahead and get one and do what you need to it.

Someone more technical might be able to answer better but try this http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

But don't be afraid to take a 30-06 for plains game, especially in an area where you won't be in proximity to dangerous game.

I think in Namibia you have to use at least a 7mm or 270 caliber.

I've used the 7-08 on plains game. Was not happy with Accubond 140s. I like NPs Would use it again with NPs and shots under 200 yds on anything up to but not including zebra and eland. Just my take. The bigger stuff as mentioned needs perfect shot placement. Frankly I'm a big fan of the 30-06 w/ 180 NPs over there. Also have a 338/06 that I have used there a really like.
Was your 338-06 a factory rifle or a Custom Build,,I'm in the middle of a 338-06 build on a savage action and wondering as I don't see a lot of offering for that cartridge fro Major manufactures

I think it is perfect for what you guys are looking for. The 7mm-08 is very similar to the 7x57 and if you ask anyone in africa what rifles have taken the most animals you would get the same answers with the 7mm mauser being one of them. Take some good bullets and youll have a great time. Good luck.

We are going on a plains game hunt in Namibia. My wife normally shoots a Browning .243 with a small stock when hunting whitetail deer in Texas. However, she is struggling with shooting a large stock 30-06 at the gun range. We have a 7mm-08 rifle in a small (youth) stock that our sons used when they were young. We have been discussing potentially using the 7mm-08 in Namibia. We know it is a good rifle for hunting deer here in Texas but will it be capable for plains game in Africa? (kudu, zebra, wildebeest, warthog)

As always thanks for your input and help.
Did you use the 7mm-08 and how did it perform?
Thanks
Frank

Did you use the 7mm-08 and how did it perform?
Thanks
Frank

My wife used the 7mm-08 with great effect on that trip. She fired it three times and harvested a zebra, oryx, and a blue wildebeest. Just last summer my daughter-in-law used it to harvest a zebra and a blesbok. The rifle is very accurate. It has a very low recoil and with the 150gr Barnes TSXBT it has enough power to handle plains game. I would recommend the cartridge.

Since I started this thread here are the results of our decision. My wife used a Browning A-Bolt Youth Stock 7mm-08 Federal 150grain Core-Lokt bullets. We found 8 boxes of these bullets for sale at Cabelas in Allen, TX. I chose the size of bullet based on statements from some of the ballistic guys on this thread. (Thank You Ballistic Guys!) We bought this ammunition in March. I have never seen that specific combination of calibre and bullet size for sale in Cabelas ever again. In Africa, except for checking the rifle's zero my wife fired it 3 times. She killed a zebra, oryx, and a blue wildebeest. This does not make it the perfect bullet. The rifle, bullet, and shooting sticks (we brought the bog-pods she had been practicing on at home.) formed the best shooting system for her.

Well placed well constructed bullets are the best bullets. Also, if you are not hand loading then choose a calibre and bullet size that is easy to find in your nearby hunting store. By the time we got to Africa my wife had 60 rounds left. She had shot a 100 rounds in practice and we both wished she could have shot more.

The smaller stock of the rifle was also a key ingredient. Normally, my wife's deer rifle is a youth stocked 243, however, we did not feel that calibre was adequate for plains game in Namibia. So, the original plan was that I would shoot the 375 H&H and she would shoot my 30-06. We quickly determined that she was very uncomfortable with how the 30-06 rifle fit her. Fortunately, we already owned the 7mm-08. It was the "big rifle" that both my sons learned to shoot after the 22's. So you can see it was the best system for her.

Developing a Shooting System
1. Find a rifle that fits you
2. Many calibres are good for Africa
3. Make sure your ammunition is easy to find in stores. You will want to practice!
4. Practice on sticks at home and bring them with you to Africa
5. Breath in. Breathe Out. Squeeze the Trigger

Have fun!(y)

It was nice to see that thread got back on track after 2 pages. An old thread but a title that caught my interest and one that has been reserected.
I’m an armchair expert, I’ve read heaps and booked a safari too.
I did buy. 7mm-08 a couple of years back and it punches above its weight. I had long thought it would be versatile and exceeds the .270 cal minimum required for some deer species in Australia.

As for finding shorter rifles for women and youth I’d suggest to anyone that strikes these problems that owning Tikkas is worth considering. They all use the same inletting so if the Mrs has just one modified stock she can take it off the .223 and stock a ..270 or 7mm RM when the need arises for a special hunt.
I currently have 3 Tikkas and while I thought of my first one as modular when I pulled it apart I can now see some benefits to that being swapping stocks or mounts when required as they are interchangeable.

My PG cull hunt is nine whole months off, hiring rifle as I have a good deal and being my first ineternatinal trip I’m keeping it simple.

Side note I met an Aussie that had done over 20 PG hunts, various trophies including Zebra he always took a .270 and. A .338win mag. That was his choice .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!