7.5 x 55 Swiss Smith/Ruben K31 rifle

I see you are a Mannlicher Schoenauer fan...fotos of my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer, this year I will be hunting with it (y) (y)
POUXs0R.jpg
6gFWMvS.jpg
FZEeEb7.jpg

Thank you Dave, it will make for much easier re=loading for this caliber...

What is your experience with using their bullets for hunting and target shooting??
I bought them in 308 caliber for a bear hunt. They shot very tight groups but unfortunately I was unable to take a bear so now that wait until I go boar hunting again. Hard to find and very expensive here in US.

Members, I really would like to hear if there is a member who will be visiting SA in the near future 2022 to 2023 . I really would like to purchase the Clamp on Scope mounts for the Swiss 7.5x55 K31 rifle I have.. I really would appreciate this very much if this would be possible .

Members are there any members who would be willing to bring me a Clamp on Scope mounts for the Swiss 7.5x55 K31 rifle when visiting SA in the last part of 2023 or earlier 2024? I managed to purchase 48x original GP-11 rounds for the Swiss 7.5x55 rifle

1674034444987330306_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back I measured one @sestoppelman I remember the front being smaller but can’t remember exactly how big. The rear portion of my bullet measured .307 I also measured a 168 grain SMK and it measured .308 for reference.
Wyatt , I was wondering why /how is it possible for the originator of the video I uploaded in regards to him measuring .302" above the cannular and the .306" measurement at the boat tail part below the cannular ..but you and fellow members do not get these measurements..does it mean the GP-11 bullets made later years are different made than the first originals made in the earlier years???

Feedback: the .306 " bullets made by Perigrine for me is not seating at all. The Lee dies set /seating die is made for the .308" diameter bullet...It seems I will not be able to reload the .306" bullets like the GP-11 ammo . I was wondering if a longer .308 " bullet will work since the standard .308" bullet has to be seated deep into the case for crimping and proper seating?? Any suggestions members??

If there is a USA hunter coming to SA this year I would really appreciate it much if he can bring me the clamp on scope mount again from the Swiss Company in the USA who make these mounts..Please do not bring anything if it is not a direct flight..those arabs will steel it again...I now understand why Western countries do not trust companies like Quatar employees, since they are stealing tourists property....
I know this is an older thread but its been resurrected. I didnt see your post of earlier.

I dont know what GP11 bullets you have or what vintage ammo, but my GP11 ammo bullets are as I listed above, .308 and its widely acknowledged that the best bullet to shoot in a K31 is .308 dia.
Dont get too hung up on seating to cannelure and crimping its not necessary to crimp with a proper fit in the case.
I shoot GP11 in my K31 and it shoots so well I dont bother with handloading but when I did, I used .308 bullets and they shot about like GP11, but no better.
If you have undersized bullets that the die wont size to, spin the ball down a couple or so thousands in a drill and make it smaller and it wont size so large.
Otherwise just shoot .308 bullets and all will be well.

Wyatt , I was wondering why /how is it possible for the originator of the video I uploaded in regards to him measuring .302" above the cannular and the .306" measurement at the boat tail part below the cannular ..but you and fellow members do not get these measurements..does it mean the GP-11 bullets made later years are different made than the first originals made in the earlier years???
I am unsure. I only have a couple dozen of the GP11 so I only pulled one.

I have lots of them, but I pulled one some time ago, I figure all in my batch will be the same.

Thank you member it is always much appreciated receiving great info from members. I was wondering why the GP-11 bullets never landed on ammo shop shelves at all??? Any reason why this bullet was never sold in ammo shops ???

Thank you member it is always much appreciated receiving great info from members. I was wondering why the GP-11 bullets never landed on ammo shop shelves at all??? Any reason why this bullet was never sold in ammo shops ???
No idea, I have always gotten mine on line. I have a case of it which will last me a loooog time.

Have you taken the steel buttplate off the rifle yet? The Swiss were citizen soldiers and it was customary to put a white card under the buttplate with the name, rank and unit of the person the rifle was issued to. I’ve got one and they are very accurate rifles. The GP11 issued ammo is match quality but expensive and hard to find now.
True to form.... here is the name under my K31's butt plate. I deleted areas of ID. The K31 is the Rolex of rifles.

To mimic the GP11 ammo, I use 175 grain bullets. The Berger is closest to design. Powders are in the 4350/RL17 class with RL17 being the prime (Swiss) powder to use. . Sweet spot is around 2500-2600 fps. The leade is very short. PRVI brass is available but I use Lapua 284 brass necked up. (Winchester "stole" the Swiss cartridge for the 284). rim size isn't a problem. Since the camming of the straight pull is low, be absolutely sure of case sizing. While the case is about the same volume as 30-06, don't overdo loads. The GP11 bullet was so aerodynamic that the US Army quit testing it as the heavy machine gun range was too short and the bullets sailed well over the range. They are a gem of a rifle.

K31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it may cause ejection problems, unless the scope was mounted very high which would be no good.

If you can get the swiss products mount it is very well designed. And can mount in seconds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 8.14.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 8.14.21 AM.png
    598 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 8.14.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 8.14.22 AM.png
    596.6 KB · Views: 34
It remains a mystery to me why a purpose built sporter in this round is as hard to find as an honest politician.
I guess Steyr made some of their fine Model M rifles in this cal, but I have never seen one listed anywhere, if I did I would buy it in a New York second!
Someday I guess I will have to buy a .308 Win and have it rechambered.

Here is the .308 Win, the Swiss and the .284 Win case on the right.
IMG_3556.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you