Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I saw that there is yet another cartridge. The 6.8 is basically the W 270 WSM slightly shortened and it's designed to take very heavy for caliber - 175 grain bullets. I've used the 160 grain bullets (only at the rifle range) in a 270.

I was wondering if anyone had compared the 6.8 v 270 WSM x the original 270??

ALSO:
My new Sako stock (well second hand) should be fitted shortly.
My Sako 270 had a soft synthetic stock. What could possibly go wrong?
The stock started to disintegrate - that is it was completely sticky from the tropical heat.
I had arranged to get a new Sako walnut stock and the Australian distributors had a almost brand new stock.
My gunsmith PK tru-oiled and went to fit the new stock. Unfortunately the distributor sent a 308 stock which in the action was 10mm too short.
I will post the results as soon as I get everything sorted out.
Planning a buffalo hunt in mid-June in the Northern Territory. Let's hope this time there will be no issues such as a lock-down!!

From what I have read they are touting it as the best thing ever since the 6.5 Creedmore.

But with the heaver bullets and the correct twist in the barrel it should be a fairly good round. I read just today that they say that it will hit harder than a 7mm Rem mag, but I haven't seen the ballistics to compare the two. It would be above both the 270 WSM and the standard 270 just because of the heaver bullets.

Only time will tell if it will last.

Yes indeed.
I guess the barrel twist would need to be something 9 or less to stablize this heavy Bullets.
Hard to believe that the energy would be greater than the 7mm!
That does not seem to me to be correct.
I’d be interested to see the ballistics!

The twist rate must be faster too in order to handle the longer bullets. Twist rates are changing in everything these days for higher BC longer bullets. The long range shooting is again changing some of the traditional designs.
One area the Hornady engineers have pushed the envelope.

I notice they also claim more actual energy than the 7mm Rem mag. Well that depends on the load. Using their figures, probably so, but the 7 mag can drive that 175 to nearly 3k fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,