6.8lb 45-70

Close Range

AH member
Joined
May 27, 2021
Messages
45
Reaction score
108
Location
North Louisiana
Hunted
Louisiana
I have recently been bitten by the straight wall cartridge bug and have decided on the Henry 45-70 single shot. In looking at load data I see Barnes has one with 50 gr of aa1680 and a 400 gr original at 2185 out of a 24” barrel. Anyone have any idea what the recoil will be like in a 6.8lb rifle?
 
i shoot a hornady 300 gr flat nose at 2000.fps out of a ruger #1 and #3 and they have killed every thing i hit. recoil is pretty snappy, but not anything i can,t handle hunting.

DSCN0417 (3).JPG
DSCN0858.JPG
DSCN0863 (2).JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious and did some looking because I didn't even know that henry built a single shot 45-70. What I found was a number of people saying that the remington 405 gr loads at 1300fps were, and I quote, "stout" and "definitely noticeable". Another 900 fps?

I've fired lots of 3" 12 ga and I find it hard to believe these two are similar with that load, especially seeing that it gives up a pound to most 12 ga shotguns.

They did say that the supplied recoil pad was decent.

I would look into a heavier lever action or even a 458wm if I wanted to shoot .458 400gr bullets at that speed.

Just food for thought.
 
I had an '86 Winchester take down in .45-90, complete with hooked metal butplate. I was sually good for 3 or 4 shots, then found something else to shoot. Ouch.
 
I have recently been bitten by the straight wall cartridge bug and have decided on the Henry 45-70 single shot. In looking at load data I see Barnes has one with 50 gr of aa1680 and a 400 gr original at 2185 out of a 24” barrel. Anyone have any idea what the recoil will be like in a 6.8lb rifle?

I have a Baikal double that clocks in about that.

Recoil with a standard 405 at ~1600 and a 525 Postell at ~1300 was just fine.
325gr Hornady at ~2000 is decidedly unpleasant to shoot.

I would think a 405 at 2000+ is going to be a handful.

... though perhaps not unbearable if you're already used to heavy hitting cartridges.
 
Will kick like 12ga shotgun with 3” shells

View attachment 418340
Great recoil database! Except, you typically wouldn’t shoot from a bench with the shotgun to site it in? I’ve shot my buddy’s 18.5” Marlin .45-70 with factory 325gr. Leverevolution ammo from the bench and the recoil is very nasty. Lighter rifle and poor stock design for recoil. He never even shoots it anymore. I’ll shoot my CZ 550 .458WM everyday, all day over his .45-70. Heavier rifle with a better stock design for recoil.
 
Lighter rifle and poor stock design for recoil. He never even shoots it anymore. I’ll shoot my CZ 550 .458WM everyday, all day over his .45-70. Heavier rifle with a better stock design for recoil.

Echoing this sentiment: I've shot my father's 18.5" Marlin 30-30, and similarly I'd shoot the 405gr 45-70 out of that Baikal, lightweight and all, all day long if I had to choose between the two of them.

Perhaps the 24" barrel is massive game changer, but on the face of it really does seem to be a design best suited for the revolver cartridges it was intended for in the good old days.
 
I was curious and did some looking because I didn't even know that henry built a single shot 45-70. What I found was a number of people saying that the remington 405 gr loads at 1300fps were, and I quote, "stout" and "definitely noticeable". Another 900 fps?

I've fired lots of 3" 12 ga and I find it hard to believe these two are similar with that load, especially seeing that it gives up a pound to most 12 ga shotguns.

They did say that the supplied recoil pad was decent.

I would look into a heavier lever action or even a 458wm if I wanted to shoot .458 400gr bullets at that speed.

Just food for thought.

I’ve burned cases of 3.5” 12 ga. loads as fast as I could cycle it and it never bothered me. Then one day with the same gun propped up and shot it like a rifle with a light 2.75” shell. You talk about a complete different feeling.

In reality a 44 mag is all the power I will ever need. I just don’t like pushing a cartridge to the max if I could just down load a bigger one.
 
Nevada Mike,
You mean like this 45-90 ?
52608_600x400.jpg


It is all in how you mount the rifle. Just tuck the lower point of the butt plate into your arm pit and let her fly. It will rise up, not back, and with no bruising or pinching and drop back down on target. Pretty handy when actually shooting game. I have fired 450 grain 2150 fps African loads with nary a bruise.
A nice big bore rifle when you get the technique down pat.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,327
Messages
1,573,000
Members
169,681
Latest member
MarynJoees
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top