6.8lb 45-70

Nevada Mike,
You mean like this 45-90 ?
View attachment 418408

It is all in how you mount the rifle. Just tuck the lower point of the butt plate into your arm pit and let her fly. It will rise up, not back, and with no bruising or pinching and drop back down on target. Pretty handy when actually shooting game. I have fired 450 grain 2150 fps African loads with nary a bruise.
A nice big bore rifle when you get the technique down pat.

Yep. A lot like that one, and still with much factory case color. It was the takedown model with, IIRC, an octagon barrel. It was tough off the bench. I have fired maybe half a million rounds from my old Browning Superposed 12... up to 1-3/8 oz. baby mags for waterfowl and am not especially sensitiive to recoil. But that old rifle pinched me pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
A single shot rifle or shotgun will punch you right in the teeth.

If you are open to another suggestion, I would consider a Browning BLR in 450 Marlin. Straight wall, equivalent to the heavy 45/70 load, at least won't knock your jaw, and the very best hammered rifle to scope. Just a thought

I shoot those type of single shots a lot. I have a H&R Hands Rifle with a 577NE custom barrel.
This is what I do.
- Make it heavier. Router out the forend for about 1/2 lb. of lead shot/epoxy mix.
- Add weight to the butt stock also, if you want.
- Bed the face of the buttstock against the receiver with Devcon.
- I like to modify/change the shape of the butt stock to a straighter ( less drop)
configuration. Install a big fat recoil pad like Limbsaver Nitro.

Enjoy! it is great rifle. Brian

I think everybody has a different tolerance for recoil.
Still get me when everyone mention the heavy recoil of the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 H&H especially in the Ruger No 1 rifles. For me they are mild and don't kick much more then a 30-06.
The normal box ammo in the 45-70 is mild, very mild compare to modern reloads.
I load 350gr Hornady RN at 2150fps and 400gr just under 2000fps. They certainly get your attention and I can understand that this load could be to much for some in a light rifle.

I have recently been bitten by the straight wall cartridge bug and have decided on the Henry 45-70 single shot. In looking at load data I see Barnes has one with 50 gr of aa1680 and a 400 gr original at 2185 out of a 24” barrel. Anyone have any idea what the recoil will be like in a 6.8lb rifle?
@Close Range
My eyes watered at both the load because it sounds hot to say the least. 1,800fps yes and 2 the recoil would not be pleasant it would be in the holy shit what did I just do to me.
Bob

Nevada Mike,
You mean like this 45-90 ?
View attachment 418408

It is all in how you mount the rifle. Just tuck the lower point of the butt plate into your arm pit and let her fly. It will rise up, not back, and with no bruising or pinching and drop back down on target. Pretty handy when actually shooting game. I have fired 450 grain 2150 fps African loads with nary a bruise.
A nice big bore rifle when you get the technique down pat.

@crs
Call me a softy but I will stick with my 92 with the same but and in the BIG 25/20.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently been bitten by the straight wall cartridge bug and have decided on the Henry 45-70 single shot. In looking at load data I see Barnes has one with 50 gr of aa1680 and a 400 gr original at 2185 out of a 24” barrel. Anyone have any idea what the recoil will be like in a 6.8lb rifle?
I shoot Beartooth Bullets 425 gr Piledriver, Junior and 525 gr Piledriver out of my Marlin GBL, sitting atop 41 gr of RL7, both coming out just north of 1600 fps. The recoil doesn't quite rattle my teeth, but it is attention getting.

But pushing a 400 gr pill at almost 2200 fps...that's 404J territory. I would expect recoil to be similar.

i don,t load to kill, the same bullet at 1400 fps will kill. i load to 2000 fps to let my make a clean kill to 150 yards with out a ton of hold over. out of my sharps 74 target rifle with a 525gr postol at 1400 fps sighted in at 100 yards drops about 21 inches at 200 yards and 52 inches at 300 yards.

I have an Uberti highwall 45-70 set up with skinner sights. This is the one with the rubber butt pad but I have only shot three loads through this rifle. I don’t know the weight but I guess it would be similar to the OP.
trailboss with 425FNGC
IMR4198 trapdoor level 425FNGC
IMR4198 marlin level II 300gr Speer Unicore

of these three, the first two are tolerable, almost enjoyable, but the full power 300gr load at 2200+FPS is not.
If I added 100gr more bullet weight at the same speed I don’t think I would shoot it at all.

I’ve got the straight stock brass action version, they can certainly gain your respect in a hurry with stout loads. I’m using 45.5 grains of imr 4198 but have loaded as high as I believe 54 grains ( I’d have to check my notes) behind a 300 grain hollow point. I’ve got loads in my notes up to 500 grain bullets. I’m not home by you can pm me tonight if your interested in loads and results.

All very good points there. Thanks everyone. Some good reading about the cracked stocks also. I feel like Henry did what they should in the first link provided.
Make sure there’s an indent in the trigger gaurd of any Henry single shot you consider buying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross