6.8lb 45-70

Close Range

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Louisiana
I have recently been bitten by the straight wall cartridge bug and have decided on the Henry 45-70 single shot. In looking at load data I see Barnes has one with 50 gr of aa1680 and a 400 gr original at 2185 out of a 24” barrel. Anyone have any idea what the recoil will be like in a 6.8lb rifle?

i shoot a hornady 300 gr flat nose at 2000.fps out of a ruger #1 and #3 and they have killed every thing i hit. recoil is pretty snappy, but not anything i can,t handle hunting.

DSCN0417 (3).JPG
DSCN0858.JPG
DSCN0863 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious and did some looking because I didn't even know that henry built a single shot 45-70. What I found was a number of people saying that the remington 405 gr loads at 1300fps were, and I quote, "stout" and "definitely noticeable". Another 900 fps?

I've fired lots of 3" 12 ga and I find it hard to believe these two are similar with that load, especially seeing that it gives up a pound to most 12 ga shotguns.

They did say that the supplied recoil pad was decent.

I would look into a heavier lever action or even a 458wm if I wanted to shoot .458 400gr bullets at that speed.

Just food for thought.

I had an '86 Winchester take down in .45-90, complete with hooked metal butplate. I was sually good for 3 or 4 shots, then found something else to shoot. Ouch.

I have recently been bitten by the straight wall cartridge bug and have decided on the Henry 45-70 single shot. In looking at load data I see Barnes has one with 50 gr of aa1680 and a 400 gr original at 2185 out of a 24” barrel. Anyone have any idea what the recoil will be like in a 6.8lb rifle?

I have a Baikal double that clocks in about that.

Recoil with a standard 405 at ~1600 and a 525 Postell at ~1300 was just fine.
325gr Hornady at ~2000 is decidedly unpleasant to shoot.

I would think a 405 at 2000+ is going to be a handful.

... though perhaps not unbearable if you're already used to heavy hitting cartridges.

Will kick like 12ga shotgun with 3” shells

View attachment 418340
Great recoil database! Except, you typically wouldn’t shoot from a bench with the shotgun to site it in? I’ve shot my buddy’s 18.5” Marlin .45-70 with factory 325gr. Leverevolution ammo from the bench and the recoil is very nasty. Lighter rifle and poor stock design for recoil. He never even shoots it anymore. I’ll shoot my CZ 550 .458WM everyday, all day over his .45-70. Heavier rifle with a better stock design for recoil.

Lighter rifle and poor stock design for recoil. He never even shoots it anymore. I’ll shoot my CZ 550 .458WM everyday, all day over his .45-70. Heavier rifle with a better stock design for recoil.

Echoing this sentiment: I've shot my father's 18.5" Marlin 30-30, and similarly I'd shoot the 405gr 45-70 out of that Baikal, lightweight and all, all day long if I had to choose between the two of them.

Perhaps the 24" barrel is massive game changer, but on the face of it really does seem to be a design best suited for the revolver cartridges it was intended for in the good old days.

I was curious and did some looking because I didn't even know that henry built a single shot 45-70. What I found was a number of people saying that the remington 405 gr loads at 1300fps were, and I quote, "stout" and "definitely noticeable". Another 900 fps?

I've fired lots of 3" 12 ga and I find it hard to believe these two are similar with that load, especially seeing that it gives up a pound to most 12 ga shotguns.

They did say that the supplied recoil pad was decent.

I would look into a heavier lever action or even a 458wm if I wanted to shoot .458 400gr bullets at that speed.

Just food for thought.

I’ve burned cases of 3.5” 12 ga. loads as fast as I could cycle it and it never bothered me. Then one day with the same gun propped up and shot it like a rifle with a light 2.75” shell. You talk about a complete different feeling.

In reality a 44 mag is all the power I will ever need. I just don’t like pushing a cartridge to the max if I could just down load a bigger one.

Nevada Mike,
You mean like this 45-90 ?
52608_600x400.jpg

It is all in how you mount the rifle. Just tuck the lower point of the butt plate into your arm pit and let her fly. It will rise up, not back, and with no bruising or pinching and drop back down on target. Pretty handy when actually shooting game. I have fired 450 grain 2150 fps African loads with nary a bruise.
A nice big bore rifle when you get the technique down pat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.