6,5x68s reloading data!

Thank you all. For your thoughts. Today it was perfect with 100gr hornady a- max; 70gr vihtavuri N160; COL:83.6. I still don't know the speed. But it shoots very good.

Thank's

Best regards from Lithuania!

20171229_122147.jpg
 
The 6.5 x 68 by its' very nature is a speedy little rascal. If 129 Gr. bullets shot well I think I'd try something heavier like a 140 Gr. I wanted to use a 140 GMX in my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. The trouble was I couldn't find any, I called Hornady and asked their Ballistics Technician about it. He told me that they couldn't get the 140 Gr. GMX to stabilize. Mind you this was at 2775 FPS. I suspect that you are running into the same issue with your 6.5 x 68 and its' higher velocities with the 120 Gr. I really like the 140 Gr. bullets in this caliber so I went "old school" Nosler Partitions for deer size animals and Swift A Frames. Since then accuracy and bullet performance has never been an issue. BTW I'd love to get my hands on a 6.5 x 68. I've never seen one on this side of the ocean.
Shootist43, me too, that is why I started a thread in regards to the barrel life of the 6.5x68S..meanwhile there was a set of reloading dies for sale on the forum last week..so I jumped at the chance to buy it...I now need a reamer ..already have a lot of 6.5X68S brass , courtesy from my good friend HWL...I believe a Shilen barrel may be in the order of the day??
So I now will have a 8x68S hunting rifle as well as a 6.5x68S hunting rifle build on Mauser actions..it will be hunting rifles and not long range shooting rifles..(y)(y):LOL::LOL:
 
Thank you all. For your thoughts. Today it was perfect with 100gr hornady a- max; 70gr vihtavuri N160; COL:83.6. I still don't know the speed. But it shoots very good.

Thank's

Best regards from Lithuania!

View attachment 212492
Andriux(from Lithuania) , is this the heaviest bullet you shoot with the 6.5x68S??? Are you going to shoot a 140 to 160 gn as well??
 
Hodgdon Reloading Manual # 26 offers data.

77 gr bullet 75,0 gr H4831, 3812 f/s
87 gr bullet 73,0 gr H4831, 3705 f/s
100 gr bullet 71,0 gr H4831, 3547 f/s
120 gr bullet 68,0 gr H4831, 3309 f/s
140 gr bullet 63,0 gr H4831, 2993 f/s

25" Barrel

HWL, will there be a noticeable increase in muzzle velocity from a 28" inch barrel???

HWL
 
Members, what twist rate will be optimum function in the 6.5x68S barrel with a 28" inch length ???
 
gert,
for up to and including 140 gn bullets, 1 turn in 8" would suit.
there are now some very low drag 6.5 mm bullets coming out that will require a 7.5" or even a 7" twist.
bullet length not barrel length is what matters.
bruce.
 
gert,
for up to and including 140 gn bullets, 1 turn in 8" would suit.
there are now some very low drag 6.5 mm bullets coming out that will require a 7.5" or even a 7" twist.
bullet length not barrel length is what matters.
bruce.
Great, it would be nice to use bullets that will compliment this type of re-loading and shooting..(y)
 
good morning to all. just joint the Forum now.
i juste re-barrel one steyr with one barrel 28" and 1/8twist. Just for your information . i do the fisrt few load today with berger elit hunter 156gr with 60gr of N 560 at 3149'( 960M/s) test at 100m groupe of 1/2" test the same at 875m 18cm groupe that give you +- 3/4 moa at 875m. the plane for this rig is some target shooting(competition) and hunting .
if someone have some load or data , i will be very happy to share
 
Resurrecting an old thread ......
I will be extremely thankful if a member have a 6.5x68S reamer I can buy ??? I want to build a 6.5x68S caliber rifle ..
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,438
Messages
1,576,292
Members
170,541
Latest member
EmanuelDra
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top