6.5x54 M-S at Distance

The only reliable source I know is Priv Partizan with its 156 gr soft point round nose bullet.

RWS, DWM, Norma, Kynoch, Hirtenberger, Dominion and so on, all have discontinued production of the 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge.

All the full metal jacket round nose solids I know were military loads.

Just pull these bullets from surplus 6,5x52 Carcano cartridges and load it in the 6,5x54 MS.

HWL

The only reliable source I know is Priv Partizan with its 156 gr soft point round nose bullet.

RWS, DWM, Norma, Kynoch, Hirtenberger, Dominion and so on, all have discontinued production of the 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge.

All the full metal jacket round nose solids I know were military loads.

Just pull these bullets from surplus 6,5x52 Carcano cartridges and load it in the 6,5x54 MS.

HWL
Hey that's a brilliant idea . Thanks man ! I don't actually own one. But l saw one recently and liked it , but l was hesitant to buy it because l didn't know where you could find ammo for it. Would you happen to know what year the military replaced the .256 round nose solids with the pointed nose solids ?

Hey that's a brilliant idea . Thanks man ! I don't actually own one. But l saw one recently and liked it , but l was hesitant to buy it because l didn't know where you could find ammo for it. Would you happen to know what year the military replaced the .256 round nose solids with the pointed nose solids ?

I do not know.....

The 6,5x54 MS was the military cartridge for greece only, and its career endet in 1941, when Germany occupied this country.

Same in Netherlands 1940 with its 6,5x53R aka .256 Mannlicher.

Romanias 6,5x53R quit service in 1944 and Italys 6,5x52 in 1945.

I think, they all used the heavy round nose solids.

HWL

Sorry to resurrect this thread , but l am intrigued by this round. Does anyone still manufacture / sell loaded 6.5×54 Mannlicher ammo anymore ? Specifically the 160 grain full metal jacket round nose solids ? It seems that the only loaded Ammo available for this gun nowadays is the soft nose variety.
These were available years ago to handloaders but a rare find these days.
DSC03686.jpg
DSC03687.jpg

Prvi Partizan offers two .268 diameter bullets for reloading including one FMJ.

139 grain FMJBT B-605
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/29100

123 grain SP B-352
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/29101

Hornady offers one bullet for reloading in .267 diameter.

160 grain RNSP Item 2645
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6185

You can contact Reed's Ammunition and Research about loading projectiles for you. Here's their standard 6.5X54 M-S offering.

https://shop.reedsammo.com/65x54-MS-mannlicher-schoenauer_c215.htm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 4.43.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 4.43.03 PM.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 4.43.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 4.43.23 PM.png
    751.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 4.43.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 4.43.36 PM.png
    837.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
View attachment 258114

My attempt, making the 6,5x54 M-S a flat shooter….

When I bought the rifle, steel and wood were in really bad condition, the barrels rifling was almost gone.

I threw away the old barrel and installed a new one for .264 dia. bullets.

Same with the old scope. witch found a new home in the hands of a collector.

I mounted a Leupold 6,5-20x40 on claw mounts. finished the wood, blued all the steel, bedded the action and did some other improvements.

HWL
HWL, this is a beautiful rifle..I really like the sleek design of the stock..it just is one great hunting rifle..(y)(y)

Sorry to resurrect this thread , but l am intrigued by this round. Does anyone still manufacture / sell loaded 6.5×54 Mannlicher ammo anymore ? Specifically the 160 grain full metal jacket round nose solids ? It seems that the only loaded Ammo available for this gun nowadays is the soft nose variety.
I am taking this route as well...and will in the near future have to look at a bullet that I will be shooting form my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser ...this will be for hunting /ghong shooting..the advantage of this caliber , the 6.5 is that since Hornady developed the 6.5 Creedmoor a lot of good bullets for the 6.5 caliber is being developed now..you really gave a great choice when shooting a 6.5 caliber rifle..(y)

gert,
in your 6.5x55.
for the smaller antelope, try the 120 gn sierra with h4350 or equivalent.
it will be about like a 130 gn 270 in terminal performance, and zeroed at 250 yds will not be very low at 300.
the 140 vld type bullets will not shoot as flat, but will have better wind deflection figures.
bruce.

gert,
in your 6.5x55.
for the smaller antelope, try the 120 gn sierra with h4350 or equivalent.
it will be about like a 130 gn 270 in terminal performance, and zeroed at 250 yds will not be very low at 300.
the 140 vld type bullets will not shoot as flat, but will have better wind deflection figures.
bruce.

Thank you Bruce, it is much appreciated..when I completed the building project and commence reloading I will take your advice in account..:A Banana::A Banana:

HWL, this is a beautiful rifle..I really like the sleek design of the stock..it just is one great hunting rifle..(y)(y)

Don't you remember, you already had this rifle in your hands!

This is Elfriedes rifle, she used to defend our tent against the leopard,....

..... and later on, with this rifle, I shot the blue wildebeest at Heins farm.

The stock is pretty much original, but reworked and checkering cut new.

HWL

I would stay with the 160 gr Round Nose.

It is by far the best performer for the 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

For the "long shot", find the distance with a range finder, adjust your scope, and have a deliberated shot.

Austrian hunters in the mountains do so since 1903....

HWL
I agree with you.

I have a 1903 that I will be working up loads for in the near future. I prefer to have a bullet that has tension the full length of the neck. I am not saying any of these bullets are the most accurate or which is the best performer on game only that where they are seated they fill the neck, feed, and chamber smoothly. Several bullets I tried had to be seated out farther than I would like including the 139gr SPBT by PPU.
From top to Bottom
Hornady 160gr RN
Lapua 155gr Mega
Nosler 140gr Partition
Hornady 120gr GMX
The bottom bullet is a Sierra 160gr SMP Pro-Hunter which work just fine but no longer available.
My rifle seems to be a little more finicky than some. My rifle doesn't like the 160gr Hornady if I seat it to the cannelure. Just my preliminary experiences with this cartridge.

DSC03701.jpg

Don't you remember, you already had this rifle in your hands!

This is Elfriedes rifle, she used to defend our tent against the leopard,....

..... and later on, with this rifle, I shot the blue wildebeest at Heins farm.

The stock is pretty much original, but reworked and checkering cut new.

HWL
Yes, you are correct Georg, the rifle was in the rifle bag since it was a modern rifle that was not allowed to be use in the camp..(y)(y)(y)

It was the first time ever your wife asked you for a rifle so she can defend herself against the leopards that was passing your tent every day....(y)(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

I have a 1903 that I will be working up loads for in the near future. I prefer to have a bullet that has tension the full length of the neck. I am not saying any of these bullets are the most accurate or which is the best performer on game only that where they are seated they fill the neck, feed, and chamber smoothly. Several bullets I tried had to be seated out farther than I would like including the 139gr SPBT by PPU.
From top to Bottom
Hornady 160gr RN
Lapua 155gr Mega
Nosler 140gr Partition
Hornady 120gr GMX
The bottom bullet is a Sierra 160gr SMP Pro-Hunter which work just fine but no longer available.
My rifle seems to be a little more finicky than some. My rifle doesn't like the 160gr Hornady if I seat it to the cannelure. Just my preliminary experiences with this cartridge.

View attachment 290119

Dirtdart, it is a fine collection of bullets you have there..(y)(y)(y)

View attachment 290119

It is so sad, that Sierra discontinued the 160 gr semi.

In my opinion, this was the best bullet availabe for the 6,5x54 MS

160 gr Hornady, also is ok.

In my experience, it is not necessary to seat it to the cannelure and crimp, because recoil is negligible.

6,5x54 MS and a 160grainer is a great combination in the field, especially when you want to deal with something bigger

HWL

It was the first time ever your wife asked you for a rifle so she can defend herself against the leopards that was passing your tent every day....(y)(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Man,...I enjoyed this.....

:D Cheers:

HWL

Be careful with 6.5x52 projectiles as they are supposedly .268, where the 6.5x54 bullets are .264

Roger
Do not worry...

CIP regulations say, the dimensions of the barrels of both cartridges are completely identically, land/groove is 6,48mm/6,78mm.

6,78 mm is .267 ".

There are differences in freebore, but this should effect seating deep only.

Bullets should be interchangeable.

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg