6.5x54 M-S at Distance

I have a 1903 that I will be working up loads for in the near future. I prefer to have a bullet that has tension the full length of the neck. I am not saying any of these bullets are the most accurate or which is the best performer on game only that where they are seated they fill the neck, feed, and chamber smoothly. Several bullets I tried had to be seated out farther than I would like including the 139gr SPBT by PPU.
From top to Bottom
Hornady 160gr RN
Lapua 155gr Mega
Nosler 140gr Partition
Hornady 120gr GMX
The bottom bullet is a Sierra 160gr SMP Pro-Hunter which work just fine but no longer available.
My rifle seems to be a little more finicky than some. My rifle doesn't like the 160gr Hornady if I seat it to the cannelure. Just my preliminary experiences with this cartridge.

View attachment 290119
Another candidate that meets these criteria is the Norma 156 grain Oryx. I didn't have the Oryx when I originally made this post.

thumbnail_20221212_132503.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you happen to know the original rifles year of manufacture. I love the look of the trigger guard on your rifle.

Hornady had discontinued their .264 160 round nose some time ago. I was looking at the Hornady website and they show this bullet in the current line up. I have seen some boxes of new production at several online retailers.
It is nice to see one of the few good bullets for the 6.5x54 back in production, at least for now.

I have a lovely scoped M1903 6.5x54 take down sporting rifle with the 22" barrel that I would like to use as my medium game rifle. I've used her out to 200m quite successfully with 140 gr projectiles in the (mild) 2400 fps range, but would like a load with some more range for shooting goats out to 300m.

Does anybody have any experience using lighter projectiles with moden powders at speed? I was thinking of using either Hornady or Nosler 120 and 130 gr SST/Balistic tips loaded with H4350 and Reloader 17. I estimate that I should be able to get 2700-2750 with the 120 gr and 2600-2650 fps with the 130 gr safely within original design pressures.

Has anybody done this before and if so, what were the results? I'm not looking to hot rod, I just want to broaden the useful envelope by using lighter modern projectiles and propellants.

Also, please don't tell me to get a modern long range rifle if I want more range, I like this rifle and intend to keep using her. I'm basically doing this so I can find more reason to use her more. ;-)
Great, I like your attitude....here in South Africa we have a totally different perception in regards to long distance shooting and rifle calibers ...the long range shooters here pointed out to me to get accuracy you need a light recoil rifle...the larger the rifle the less accurate your shooting results...

this is why the .284/7x57 caliber is featuring in all the extreme steel shoots up to 1000 meters competitions. I noticed quite a few 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers and Creedmoor calibers taking part in these shoots and being in the top 10 ...

Most calibers from the top 1 to 10 is still Lapua .338. I am thinking the 6.5x55 caliber can be improved by mounting a top of the range long distance scope ...no need to change your caliber to a heavy shooting bullet.
Unfortunately this option may gain about 300metere on top of what the rifle is able with a normal descend scope..even the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser has it`s limits...

Hornady had discontinued their .264 160 round nose some time ago. I was looking at the Hornady website and they show this bullet in the current line up. I have seen some boxes of new production at several online retailers.
It is nice to see one of the few good bullets for the 6.5x54 back in production, at least for now.
They have discontinued most of their roundnose bullets except for30 caliber 150 and 170 grain and a 200 grain 35 caliber.

I have a 1903 that I will be working up loads for in the near future. I prefer to have a bullet that has tension the full length of the neck. I am not saying any of these bullets are the most accurate or which is the best performer on game only that where they are seated they fill the neck, feed, and chamber smoothly. Several bullets I tried had to be seated out farther than I would like including the 139gr SPBT by PPU.
From top to Bottom
Hornady 160gr RN
Lapua 155gr Mega
Nosler 140gr Partition
Hornady 120gr GMX
The bottom bullet is a Sierra 160gr SMP Pro-Hunter which work just fine but no longer available.
My rifle seems to be a little more finicky than some. My rifle doesn't like the 160gr Hornady if I seat it to the cannelure. Just my preliminary experiences with this cartridge.

View attachment 290119
Did you get the GMX to cycle correctly? If so that dispels the myth about only round nose bullets working and opens the door to many possibilities

There are some pointed bullets that will cycle through and feed in the .annlichers. It all depends on the office starting loint. Your long pointy bullets such as ELD types will most definitely not.

Did you get the GMX to cycle correctly? If so that dispels the myth about only round nose bullets working and opens the door to many possibilities
I tried the GMX only because I happened to have an opened box sitting on the shelf at the time, it did cycle. I do not intend to use any bullet of that design because I don't feel the 6.5x54 has enough velocity for them to expand in such a short barrel.

Why the heck ,excuse expression so they stop making of heavy bullets in some calibers, is it for all the sponsor badges covered jackets to use the newest 15 minutes lasting fazed hyper special boom zip instead of the timeless classics that are similar to the new ones?

If it works stop trying to fix it. I for a few years chased .1” better groups with the latest bullets and powders. I am now in the process of reloading all my rifle calibers with heavy for caliber, round nose bullets. If it works, stop questioning why and just use it.

I have the luxury of having an ample personal supply of almost every heavy for caliber jacketed .264 diameter bullet that has ever been available in North America for at least the past 50 years. Someone just starting to load the 6.5x54 and wanting to use something in the 155-160 grain weight class may be doing themselves a favor to start with a bullet that can currently be found in reasonable quantities. That was reason for some of my previous post.

I have the luxury of having an ample personal supply of almost every heavy for caliber jacketed .264 diameter bullet that has ever been available in North America for at least the past 50 years. Someone just starting to load the 6.5x54 and wanting to use something in the 155-160 grain weight class may be doing themselves a favor to start with a bullet that can currently be found in reasonable quantities. That was reason for some of my previous post.
Apologies for resurrecting an old post. I just wanted to thank you for the information you have shared. I just purchased 100 rounds of PPV 6.5*54 which should last for my life's use of the rifle but will be looking to pickup some 160 grain bullets to stash with the brass I will be saving. This Mannlicher-Schoenauer hole I have fallen in to has been educational. I would like to limit my caliber proliferation but as usual I put a higher value on rifles than most others do. I also picked up two different 7*64 bullets to see how they work in the magazine of the M1925.

All good suggestions, but some of the reloading books tell you to check the headspace in all 1903s as most have varying amounts of headspace.. Mine has 14 thousands, and I have to fireform new brass..then necksize after each firing for a time..Sometimes I anneal and sometimes I toss brass and buy new stuff and start over..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross