6.5 Creedmore for Australia

Would you have or relate to any of the following?

• Man Bun

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Latte

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 6.5 Creedmore . for hunting

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Hipster lifestyle

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A 6.5cm rifle period

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Purchase .243 over the 6.5cm

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
My Brother has an urge to buy another rifle so who am I to say it’s a bad idea. He has a .308 Browning X Bolt for light carry and the recoil is sharp.
He has a Lithgow Crossover in .223 and has designs on a second Lithgow Crossover.
Available factory options include .243, 6.5cm and .308.
He is leaning toward a .243 because they are well established in Australia and with moderate recoil he is comfortable shooting from the car and over the bench and taking pigs and other pests that present. Maybe small deer species if opportunity presents
Now with the 6.5 cm being available he has considered it.
I formed an opinion long ago that 7mm-08 is a good allrounder mainly as I was considering I wanted a true short action compact rifle with a projectile with a minimum diameter of .270.
Yesterday the truth came out that while the 6.5cm is relatively new he is concerned that I, (What Me?) might associate the 6.5 trendmore with names like, Latte, Hipster and Man Bun making it sound gay. It’s only a cartridge FFS.
Anyway would any of my new found friends here like to write hear about your preferences?
It’s not a fad but it’s not replacing my 7mm-08 for me.

Short actions do no favors to the hunter.
Only the manufacturer who is trying to keep costs down.
They limit OAL, powder capacity, bullet length...etc.
IMO - The gains are minimal for bolt stroke and weight savings.

Truth be told, I'd rather have a man-bun than a short action.
I could always shave the hair off quicker than I could sell the rifle.

My vote is none of the above.
6.5x55SE will get it done in my book.

+1. If you must have a .264 calibered rifle, try and find a good used .264 Win. Mag? You can use 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 or .338 Win. Mag. cases to form the .264WM cases if they are scarce in OZ, AND you won't be called any derogatory names? Just a suggestion?

+1. If you must have a .264 calibered rifle, try and find a good used .264 Win. Mag? You can use 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 or .338 Win. Mag. cases to form the .264WM cases if they are scarce in OZ, AND you won't be called any derogatory names? Just a suggestion?
I agree with you on the 264WM.
The 264WBY is another excellent cartridge.
But these aren't exactly "low recoil" compared to the 6.5x55.
Although the 6.5x54MS could also be an option.

It's not easy trying to stay low recoil AND long action. ;)
There are some crazy good (and fast) 6.5's out there...
6.5-284NORMA, 26NOSLER, 6.5-300WBY & 6.5WBY RPM
And I'm not even scratching the surface.

BeeMaa,
Your right about the recoil with the .264WM. Guess I got carried away. I was thinking more along the lines of procuring brass longterm for a viable cartridge in today's climate of reloading component shortages and factory ammo's nonexistent availability in stores?
CEH

Well 6.5swede has come into conversation, hell it even sounds better let alone conjuring up images of Swedish chicks.

Years ago I think I was thinking like a Remington Model 7 as being a short action. It’s possibly no gain in bolt throw when Howa make 2 action sizes? Tikka are all one and I suspect the Lithgow Crossover is capable of hoisin gfrom .223 to .300mm, there is no weight saving their the bolt weighs near as much as a carbon fibre stock.

If he wasn’t sold on the Lithgow Crossover I could suggest a Blaser,.

Back to the Creedmore , you’re thoughts.

Well 6.5swede has come into conversation, hell it even sounds better let alone conjuring up images of Swedish chicks.

Years ago I think I was thinking like a Remington Model 7 as being a short action. It’s possibly no gain in bolt throw when Howa make 2 action sizes? Tikka are all one and I suspect the Lithgow Crossover is capable of hoisin gfrom .223 to .300mm, there is no weight saving their the bolt weighs near as much as a carbon fibre stock.

If he wasn’t sold on the Lithgow Crossover I could suggest a Blaser,.

Back to the Creedmore , you’re thoughts.
If your friend is set on a short action, low recoil and 6.5 caliber...
IMO the 6.5CM makes the most sense.
As long as he's willing to accept the limitations of the cartridge.
Ammo/bullet/brass availability for it are good.

But man, that Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless in 6.5x55.
I call that "Dead Sexy"...;)

If your friend reloads then perhaps he should down load his .308 a bit with some lighter bullets. If not then the CM makes good sense as there is a lot of factory options in ammo for it. Lots heavier bullets than the .243. It too can be down loaded.
Bruce

OR a 6.5 Remington Magnum? Ha! Ha! There was a guy on GB a couple of weeks ago, selling 120 new Rem. brass cases in this caliber. When the bid hit $345.00us, I couldn't watch it anymore. I guess the bidders didn't realize (or didn't care) you can make the 6.5 cases from 7mmRM brass.

6.5PRC is the sensible 6.5mm magnum that doesn't make your barrels single use only.

Seriously though, Finland changed the law allowing 115 grain bullets with kinetic energy at 100m more than 1900J for hunting moose, bear and wild boar. I haven't heard from anyone using the opportunity on bear season but there's now four reports of shooting moose with 6.5CM and 120gr lead free bullets.

1. Adult moose, Sako Powerhead II (Barnes TTSX), distance 30m, complete penetration behind shoulder, ran 5m
2. Moose calf, Sako Powerhead II (Barnes TTSX), distance 30m, complete penetration through shoulder, DRT.
3. Adult female moose, Sako Powerhead II (Barnes TTSX), distance 35m, into shoulder, attacked the hunter, second shot to chest from 5m stopped the moose and third shot to neck killed it.
4. Previously wounded moose calf, Hornady GMX loaded to 850m/s, distance 50m, DRT

I think it's safe to say 6.5mm bullets are very capable but do note the distances. I shot my first moose this year and distance was 65m. For someone hunting in open country and regularly shooting to 300-500yd the creedmoor is getting bit slow even for a whitetail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg