505 Gibbs load help needed

matt85

AH legend
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
4,909
Location
WA, USA
Media
30
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
as my AHR 505 Gibbs gets closer to being completed im beginning to put together supplies to shoot the puppy.

my goal is to fire a 570gr Swift A-frame at around 2200fps from a 24" barrel.

can you guys suggest a powder load that would work for this?

my thoughts are to use RL 25 or even IMR 7828 but its hard to guess the amount since Swift's manual stops at around 2080fps using RL 25 and around 2030fps using IMR 7828 (using a 26" barrel). both loads in the Swift manual claim their max load only fills around 80-85% of the case so i still have some room for more powder.

safety advisor: before i get a safety lecture please keep in mind the pressure maximums in reloading manuals are based off the original cordite pressures and modern guns using modern powders can EASILY exceed this performance without any pressure issues. having said that, caution is still used when exceeding maximum pressures.

-Matt
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just referred to my Hornady 9th Edition, and I believe you have exceeded the limits of their knowledge! Lol I will check my Barnes in the morning as it goes to larger calibers, but is unfortunately in my office. Good luck, and can't wait to read what you decided on as I am very interested in that caliber.
 
thanks, but i already have the Barnes load data and they only talk about their 525gr TSX/solid. my friend ActionBob likes to use the 525gr TSX in his 505 Gibbs and recently took a cape buffalo with it.

-matt
 
10/4.. I was thinking bullet weight/charge/etc, not necessarily Barnes bullets. All the same, let me know what you find out as I really am interested in that cartridge.
 
art Alphans book any shot you want lists h4831, IMR 7828 and reloader 22. however it only shows a 525 grain bullet
 
Matt I'll be in Vegas in Feb I'll be more than happy to help you load it in my gun case! ;)
 
Give swift a call they have folks on hand to answer your questions
 
Matt,
What press are you going to use to load the Gibbs?
 
Matt,
What press are you going to use to load the Gibbs?

i use a Lee cast single stage press for the BIG cartridges, its just a Lee challenger on steroids. it has worked great for both the 505 Gibbs and the 585 HE.

Matt I'll be in Vegas in Feb I'll be more than happy to help you load it in my gun case! ;)

Jaco, ill give it some thought... :K Moon:

-matt
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,017
Members
169,884
Latest member
PamalaHust
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top