500Gr 500 Nitro express loads

P-J

AH member
Joined
Jan 23, 2023
Messages
30
Reaction score
98
Location
Okotoks, Alberta
Hunted
Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Alberta, BC,
Hello all, odd bullet weight but let me explain. I bought 100 bonded 500gr .509" soft points for my 50 alaskan years ago and they were too long and never fed right so they sat on the shelf. I recently acquired a 500ne double and thought I would make up these as a mid weight bullet for use around the ranch just to burn them up.

Goals would be to match 570 gr velocity (~2100 fps) as the gun regulates well with both hornady 570gr DGS and Federal 570gr A-frame. Hopefully it will regulate with these lighter 500gr pills.

I have H4350, W760, And Varget (close to RL15) to work with. At this point I'm thinking a starting load of 92grs Varget should get me around 90% case capacity, be on the faster end of powders (lighter bullet) and be well under max load. Then work up from there. But I wanted to ask if anyone has been down this road?

Thanks all!

7.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing that usual loads for a 570 grain bullet with RL 15 seem to go between 92 - 95 grains of RL 15 to hit the velocity you are after I am not sure that 92 grains of Varget is a good starting point for a 500 grain bullet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: P-J
I was surprised to find a 450gr load in Woodleighs manual …. Notice the # beside the 95gr load denotes the need for Dacron filler to take up the extra case volume.
1013573A-3554-4BE3-89CB-F31295D479C1.jpeg


African Dangerous Game cartridges lists a load for 500 NE 3” with 500gr bullet & 108.0gr of IMR-4350
922EA381-D9D3-423E-839A-FC3B76086781.jpeg
 
I love this forum! You guys are amazing. Varget is a bit less dense then RL15 with a very similar burn rate so I actually thought it might be a good choice to start low and work up, but your data is a huge help! 95-98grs varget would be touching the bullet base. :)

the IMR-4350 data is great, I know I have H4350 but starting low here also would be much easier with your data then experimenting with Varget.

It's a blizzard here today but I will try and report back my findings with the chrono and regulation :)

Greatly appreciated!
 
Hi!Deewayne2003 can u plz let me know which loading manual is this pic from ? Need the name of this loading manual as in the manual it say 500 NE can be loaded with IMR 4064 if any clue plz let me know .

Thanks and Regards
Dr Narendra Yadav
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 10.03.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 10.03.50 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 272
Can anyone who has the manual PM me the pages for 470 ne loads? I will really appreciate.
 
Would you be hunting with this load? Looks like it would have an SD of 0.275.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,983
Members
169,880
Latest member
LunaXофициальныйсайт
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top