500 Jeffery barrel selection

OzarkSafariGuy

AH member
Joined
Jun 5, 2021
Messages
21
Reaction score
19
Getting ready to order a barrel blank for the 500 Jeffery project, and wanted some advice.
Normally when building a rifle, I have some sort of baseline for the barrel contour. Either copy an existing rifle in a similar caliber, or check what contour the factory rifles are sold with in that caliber.
Cannot find any info on this for the 500 Jeffery. I'm assuming it will be a fairly heft contour. I also was wondering what barrel length people go with. I usually go 22 to 24 on everything else, but noticed that some people are doing 28+" for 500 Jeffery.
Likewise twist rate, I've seen everything from 1:12 to 1:24.
I also don't own any other 50 caliber guns except a 500 S&W, which isn't very helpful for this (don't need an 8" revolver barrel on my 500 Jeffery), so I have nothing to copy.
Advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
I do not know what blanks Matrix Gunsmithing in CO uses but, he can turn you a barrel with integral front and rear sight. I'm sure he can advise. John
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know what blanks Matrix Gunsmithing in CO uses but, he can turn you a barrel with integral front and rear sight. I'm sure he can advise. John
I'll contact him! Thanks! I probably won't buy a barrel, half the fun is turning my own. Also, I'm rather fond of the folding leaf sights I put on my last rifle, going to likely make one with only 2 leafs for this rifle since I very much doubt it will be used at range.
 

Attachments

I have a Pac Nor (Pre Fire) 510 barrel contoured "heavy" for the 500 Jeffery. New Old Stock, not threaded or chambered.

I will take measurements and post a photo if this will help.

Built a few in the past on a Pac Nor No. 6 contour with 1.300" diameter at the breech.

I have reamers also.
 
I'd appreciate that! I've never built on Pac Nor, but heard good things.
1.300 at the breech sounds about right for what I'm doing. If you could get the other specs, that would be great!
 
Chrome Molly. Stainless, to me, just does not look right on a classic big bore.

Pac Nor makes good barrels, it is a shame they had the fire a couple of years back. But Chris has rebuilt and they are back in production with the expected huge backlog.

Below, 458 Lott, full house loads, 100 yards, iron sights. One of my rifles. 24 inch Pac Nor No. 5. Yes, it does recoil! No brake.

OALY4hN.jpg


I will measure the.510 barrel and post a pic.
 

Attachments

  • OALY4hN.jpg
    OALY4hN.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 216
Yeah, I agree about stainless doesnt look right on classic rifles. Plus, accuracy wise, Ive had better luck with chromoly anyways
 
I have a Pac Nor (Pre Fire) 510 barrel contoured "heavy" for the 500 Jeffery. New Old Stock, not threaded or chambered.

I will take measurements and post a photo if this will help.

Built a few in the past on a Pac Nor No. 6 contour with 1.300" diameter at the breech.

I have reamers also.
Did you get the measurements on that barrel?
I'd appreciate those
Thanks,
Frank
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,686
Members
169,825
Latest member
tyaumiu
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top