Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
S.A Veldsport Association Archery edge Club 3di archer
Hunted
South africa and Namibia
Hunting across the country has anyone every done it.?

I would think a slam on whitetail would be of the different species of whitetail, eastern, Columbia, coues and Carmen mountain whitetail, I’ve probably missed a variety. I’m sure someone has hunted them everywhere because there is a surprising amount of WT fanatics out there. Coues Deer are the only WT that I find fun to hunt but I do like eating WT more than I do a Mule Deer. So if WT trip your trigger go do it and then tell us about it, I’m sure it would be quite an undertaking to take one in every state with a huntable population. Good luck on your quest.

That would be something, and well worth the effort. However, with the Florida Keys deer being in the endangered species, I don't believe you'd be able to hunt them all.

I’m assuming whitetail occur in 48 states? I don’t believe they are in Alaska or Hawaii.

Although I hunt them a lot on our farm in Alabama, Coues have become my favorite. They are one of the most interesting NA animals to hunt.

I believe that whitetail deer have been imported to and are huntable on at least one Hawaiian Island.

I've known a few fanatical whitetail hunters and I'm sure someone if not several have pursued them in every state you can legally hunt them. That said, they aren't in legally huntable numbers in every state. California, Nevada, and Utah may have very small populations, but they can't be hunted. I don't know about Hawaii, plenty of axis deer, maybe someone snuck whitetails in to a ranch. I do know Alaska is starting to get some whitetails and mule deer crossing in from Canada and they are allowed to be shot on sight as they have the potential to carry diseases that negatively affect moose. And as mentioned above certain subspecies can't be hunted. Key deer in Florida are off limits, but there's plenty of whitetail elewhere in the state.

I don't believe you can legally kill a whitetail in 49 states. Some states will have other subspecies of WT or another species of deer to chase. Either way you slice it a deer in every state is a huge accomplishment. Personally, I'm trying to successfully hunt or fish in every state, but have a bunch to go still.

A Turkey Slam in 49 States is possible. Jason Hart completed it a year or two ago, and I believe there were a couple of people before him that completed it as well. I believe "Chasing 49" was the slogan or something. He'll be at NWTF and has done a few seminars and podcasts on this. You can probably apply a lot of the same tactics he used in hunting the turkeys to deer hunting in terms of getting land access, pairing multiple states into a single trip, etc.

There are 17 whitetail subspecies in the US, two of which, the Key Deer and the Hunting Island whitetail, are protected. 3 other subspecies live on islands off the southeastern coast. The other 12 are all huntable but there have been many transplants from one subspecies range into others over the last several decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!