Soutie18

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
S.A Veldsport Association Archery edge Club 3di archer
Hunted
South africa and Namibia
Hunting across the country has anyone every done it.?

Bullthrower338

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I would think a slam on whitetail would be of the different species of whitetail, eastern, Columbia, coues and Carmen mountain whitetail, I’ve probably missed a variety. I’m sure someone has hunted them everywhere because there is a surprising amount of WT fanatics out there. Coues Deer are the only WT that I find fun to hunt but I do like eating WT more than I do a Mule Deer. So if WT trip your trigger go do it and then tell us about it, I’m sure it would be quite an undertaking to take one in every state with a huntable population. Good luck on your quest.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
That would be something, and well worth the effort. However, with the Florida Keys deer being in the endangered species, I don't believe you'd be able to hunt them all.

WAB

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I’m assuming whitetail occur in 48 states? I don’t believe they are in Alaska or Hawaii.

Although I hunt them a lot on our farm in Alabama, Coues have become my favorite. They are one of the most interesting NA animals to hunt.

buffybr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association
Hunted
USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT,Saskatchewan,Quebec), Zimbabwe(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape), New Zealand, Mozambique, Azerbaijan
I believe that whitetail deer have been imported to and are huntable on at least one Hawaiian Island.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I've known a few fanatical whitetail hunters and I'm sure someone if not several have pursued them in every state you can legally hunt them. That said, they aren't in legally huntable numbers in every state. California, Nevada, and Utah may have very small populations, but they can't be hunted. I don't know about Hawaii, plenty of axis deer, maybe someone snuck whitetails in to a ranch. I do know Alaska is starting to get some whitetails and mule deer crossing in from Canada and they are allowed to be shot on sight as they have the potential to carry diseases that negatively affect moose. And as mentioned above certain subspecies can't be hunted. Key deer in Florida are off limits, but there's plenty of whitetail elewhere in the state.

Mtn_Infantry

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (x3), Namibia
I don't believe you can legally kill a whitetail in 49 states. Some states will have other subspecies of WT or another species of deer to chase. Either way you slice it a deer in every state is a huge accomplishment. Personally, I'm trying to successfully hunt or fish in every state, but have a bunch to go still.

A Turkey Slam in 49 States is possible. Jason Hart completed it a year or two ago, and I believe there were a couple of people before him that completed it as well. I believe "Chasing 49" was the slogan or something. He'll be at NWTF and has done a few seminars and podcasts on this. You can probably apply a lot of the same tactics he used in hunting the turkeys to deer hunting in terms of getting land access, pairing multiple states into a single trip, etc.

LucasK

AH member
Reaction score
There are 17 whitetail subspecies in the US, two of which, the Key Deer and the Hunting Island whitetail, are protected. 3 other subspecies live on islands off the southeastern coast. The other 12 are all huntable but there have been many transplants from one subspecies range into others over the last several decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dopescooter

Latest profile posts

hunt 65 wrote on James Adamson's profile.
what is the asking price for gun and ammo?? thanks.
Gerry Addison wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
I would like to delete my last post on the the thread where to hunt big cape buffalo. I haven't been to that area for a few years and it may be very different now. Not fair of me to post this.
Montana hunter and avid sportsman.
Inline6 wrote on Chris Sells's profile.
PM me when you get a chance, have a few questions for you.
steve white wrote on Pheroze's profile.
Pheroze: I was intrigued by the blog on 400, 465 H&H in which you stated you were having a rifle reamed out to accomodate the larger bore. Who is doing the work for you, do they then provide cut rifling or buttoned. Will a 375 H&H rechamber to the 400 H&H. Is there much ballistic difference between it and the 404/375