470 NE vs. 500 NE

SW

I would go with this option also.

I have talked to butch and if you have the time go and be fitted for your stock. the only way to go.

the 470 NE or 450 NE 3 1/4 are both great choices. Watch the weight...

Right now I am kind of leaning towards one of Butch Searcy's guns, brand new, cut to fit with ejectors it runs $12,500.

I have to tell you this, Butch has pretty well convinced me that the 470 is the way to go

James,

When you say "watch the weight, what do you mean....I think he lists about 10 1/2 lbs for a 470 does that sound about right?

My LOP is a little short so I was thinking of bringing the barrels down to 22" for balance, what do you think?

SW
10 1/2 pounds is a good weight and when your stock is fitted you will have very little recoil.

Now as for barrel length the 24" inch is the was to go(i think). While 26" is a few inches longer and smother is could cause issues in heavy brush.

With a break open double, you will find the gun to appear short and you will learn to get used to it.

While 22" barrel is good and the way to go in a large bore bolt rifle, the over all length is considerable when stacked next to a double rifle.

When cutting inches off a barrel you will need to research and look at the reduced velocity and foot pound you will be losing.

I have shot 24 and 26 inch double rifles and they were both in the 10 1/2 pound area and were a peach to shoot. 470 NE was 24 inch barrels and the 450 NE (3 1/4) was 26 inch barrels with 2 triggers. They both shot real well. The 450 NE that i rented was 26 inch and i did not have any issues with it in the thick brush. Off hand and at 100 yards with open sights was a reasonable high percentage shot with the double.

James,

When you say "watch the weight, what do you mean....I think he lists about 10 1/2 lbs for a 470 does that sound about right?

My LOP is a little short so I was thinking of bringing the barrels down to 22" for balance, what do you think?

James

The reasoning behind the 22 inch barrels is thus

First, I figure to give up about 100 -150 fps but I believe I can recover most of that with handloading

Second, I wear a 17 1/2 x 33 shirt so my LOP is about 13
- 13 1/2 and I was thinking the 22 in barrels made the package more balanced

at only 5'10" and 190 lbs while not obese I have that little fire plug figure that most women find oh so appealing LOL

While I cannot comment on doubles specifically, whatever feels best when you pick it up is the best for you. I agree, if you lose a bit of velocity and punch, even if it cannot be recovered through handloading, is small sacrifice when traded for a balance that just feels right and comes on sight easily and stays there.

Besides you are buying a cannon, I dont think a few ft/lb or fps is going to make a difference on anything you point it at, including the "big cats" like the D8 for example should be no match. When run over by a bus it matters little how fast it was going or whether it was a mini bus or a double decker.

Besides you are buying a cannon, I dont think a few ft/lb or fps is going to make a difference on anything you point it at, including the "big cats" like the D8 for example should be no match. When run over by a bus it matters little how fast it was going or whether it was a mini bus or a double decker.

Ok, that's pretty funny!

James

The reasoning behind the 22 inch barrels is thus

First, I figure to give up about 100 -150 fps but I believe I can recover most of that with handloading

Second, I wear a 17 1/2 x 33 shirt so my LOP is about 13
- 13 1/2 and I was thinking the 22 in barrels made the package more balanced

at only 5'10" and 190 lbs while not obese I have that little fire plug figure that most women find oh so appealing LOL

SW just remember that when the rifle is regulated by the maker it is not going to be with any hand loads you come up with after you get the rifle. if you go trying to push up the velocity with your hand loads to compensate for a 22inch barrel i doubt it will shoot very well. a double is regulated for a specific load , federal, hornady, kynoch etc... reloads have to approximate the load it was regulated with. this is the reason that the modern manufacturers make their ammunition for doubles to the same specs,velocity etc as when they were first created, so they work in old doubles as well. i would stick with 24 inch barrels and the rifle will look in proportion. a friend had a 22inch barreled .470 double and it did look out of proportion, like a sawn off. 10 1/2 lbs is fine, as i said tops for my weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross