.470 light loads

Gareth flanged

AH member
Joined
Jul 7, 2018
Messages
16
Reaction score
17
Media
2
Hi

I'd like to use my .470 in the indoor range. I'd need a light loads with a soft lead bullet about 700 ftlbs.
Does anyone have experience of such a thing?
I'm wary of the case powder capacity.

G
 
My experience is you would be exceeding any indoor range caliber constraints with a 470. Second you must be a reloader to do what you are attempting. If so your filler would take care of any capacity issues
 
Take a look at the Lyman Cast Bullet Hanbook. It will give you an idea of what’s possible with other cartridges.
 
I would think that you could approach this from the other end (history wise anyway) and look at what smokeless loads the 500/450 magnum shooters are using.
H4198 with a backer rod filler is where I would start.
 
My experience is you would be exceeding any indoor range caliber constraints with a 470. Second you must be a reloader to do what you are attempting. If so your filler would take care of any capacity issues.

You’d be surprised, I used to take my .470 regularly to an indoor rifle range and was approved by management.
 
don’t misunderstand me…I think it’s awesome you can shoot a 470 in an indoor range…I just can’t…have to go to my farm
 
Hi

I'd like to use my .470 in the indoor range. I'd need a light loads with a soft lead bullet about 700 ftlbs.
Does anyone have experience of such a thing?
I'm wary of the case powder capacity.

G

As others have mentioned, I would go with 4198 and a foam filler. You likely won’t be able to get down to 700 ft-lbs without nearly filling the case with foam, and I’d be worried about bullets getting stuck in the barrel at that speed. Stick to around 1500 to 1700 fps and lead bullets or jacketed pistol bullets.
 
Your range limits you to 700 ft-lb muzzle energy cartridges?
 
Your bigger issue will be regulation. It is unlikely a load that light will regulate properly.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,253
Members
169,514
Latest member
ChesterMac
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top