470 Factory Load Recipes

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
In order to understand what might regulate in my gun, I’m trying to figure out what the factory loads actually are loaded with so I can try the right ones.

Anyone know? I’ll start:

Federal 470 loads use 4831 powder, Hornady brass, and a not for public sale 216 primer.

Norma?

Hornady?

Nosler?

Barnes?

You are going to have to try them all Rookhawk. I have been down this path a couple of times. Regulation varies between lots much less brands. If one of gives an acceptable group, then buy all of that lot you can afford of that production lot. Otherwise, send it off to someone like Lance Hendershot to work up a load that regulates (if you don't want to spend hours at the range and reloading press - I don't). He has successfully done that for me on three rifles and you will have a ready source as long as he is in business.

FWIW, my Krieghoff .470 regulate well at 40-50 meters with Federal and Norma (both 500 grain Woodies) and with Barnes 500 grain TSX..

Handloads that regulate in my rifle are 90 grains Vitavuori N150 and 105 grains Vita.. N160, both behind 500 grain Hornady DGS.. (I only shoot those in paper BTW.. )

The recoil from the 105/N160 load is signifcantly heavier...ouch,,

The N150 powder is very similar to RL-15..

Last edited:
You are going to have to try them all Rookhawk. I have been down this path a couple of times. Regulation varies between lots much less brands. If one of gives an acceptable group, then buy all of that lot you can afford of that production lot. Otherwise, send it off to someone like Lance Hendershot to work up a load that regulates (if you don't want to spend hours at the range and reloading press - I don't). He has successfully done that for me on three rifles and you will have a ready source as long as he is in business.

I hear you, @Red Leg , I’m just trying to avoid buying all of them!

My math says it will cost me $7.83 per round to handload a 470ne. Plus time, dies, press, all accessories, plus time, plus scale, shell holder, and time, plus case lube, brass tumbler, deburring tool, and time.

I just got 10 boxes of Nosler solid loads at $5 a round to try. I can get Barnes and Hornady at $6 a round. Trying to find a good solution short of handloading. Worst case, I’ll have to pull bullets and reuse primed brass, forced to handload?

Handloading and paying stupid money for custom loaded ammo: two things I really hate to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross