470 capstick

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Johnny reb, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bebo

bebo AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Your opinion please ::thumb: You're always of sound advice

Is it a good deal to buy (today : A2 seems dead ...) a Hannibal rifle .470 Capstick for 3780 US$ ? $$$$$:sad:

It's not to hunt, just to shoot from time to time with . For the fun , on the range only but .. but if I get it I must sell 2 of my "classic" rifle :thumbdown:

Is it an exceptionnal rifle or just "not so bad" ?
    If I try to shoot with this rifle, must I speak with my dentist and my physio before shooting it (the rifle, not the dentist or physio) ?:samurai:

2. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    No more recoil than a 458 Lott, if you load it down to 470 NE levels (500g at 2150 fps) similar recoil to a 458 Win Mag. The felt recoil will depend on the stock design and fit as well as the weight of the rifle.

3. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Then my vote is to keep what you have, unless you are unhappy with those two rifles.

4. oscar1975

oscar1975 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I really like the 470 Capstick but from what I've read this cartridge in the field behaves much like the 458 Lott Is not it ?, I have a 458 Lott and I was glad to see it still remains an ongoing cartridge and still knocking large animals like elephants and buffaloes. Somehow I felt close to Africa and safaris hehe.

regards,

Oscar.

5. Ric

Ric New Member

Hornady basic brass is reasonable & there are plenty of bullets for sale from many bullet makers. I have hunted with this round since 95, it fares better that the Lott. It's a good round.

6. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Johnny Reb I have no experience but it one of those calibres I don't have and it intrigues me also, so I have a barrel, reamer, on order. Dies and basic brass on the shelf, a 1909 mauser action dying to be made into something, and a decent piece of English walnut firewood, that will be made into a fun rifle just because:D sometime this winter. I hope if you get one you have fun with it(y)

7. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    DSC00875.JPG My new baby..... found on egun ....the A-Square Hannibal in .470 Capstick

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Congrats HWL.

9. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Welcome aboard @HWL ! Congrats on the new addition!

10. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Awesome rifle and caliber. Congrats!

11. TallGrassHunter

TallGrassHunter AH Veteran

Well done HWL. Personally, on another note, if I was worried about my ammo being lost, I'd request my PH receive some custom ordered for me prior to my arrival, and I' order the ammo. Problem solved.

12. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I've always wanted one for no other reason than for who it's named after.

HWL likes this.

13. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    So many DG cartridges out there, it seems like a reinvent the wheel approach.

470 NE is hard to beat in a DG double
    416 rigby and 458 WM 458 Lott seem to cover all the bases for a client hunter in a DG magazine rifle

I'd imagine that if I was of humble means and I lived in Africa and if I guided exclusively Jumbos and I couldn't afford a 470 double rifle that I might want a 505 Gibbs, 470 Capstick, 460 weatherby or some such similar canon. But the fact is those catridges I just rattled off are really for saving client lives by turning charges 100% of the time more than a "hunter's gun".

Your resale value on a 470 Capstick will be expensive and you'll spend a fortune on custom headstamped brass in order to get the ammo into Africa. (they don't allow wildcat brass mismarked)

Just my opinion.

14. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Not cheap but there's factory ammo

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...ain-woodleigh-welded-core-soft-point-box-of-5

and brass

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/640584/quality-cartridge-reloading-brass-470-capstick-box-of-20

Cost is similar to my 500 Jeffery. I reload only, get 10 fires from a case. Assuming it costs me $2.00 a round counting 1/10 the brass cost, it costs me $40 for a box of 20. Not too bad and how many rounds do you really want to shoot once it's sighted in and you're proficient with it? I like the round, it's capable of a 500g bullet at 2400 fps from a 24" barrel. Most Lott's stop well short of that. In reality we don't need a lot of cartridges, why do we need a 416 Rigby, 416 Rem, 404 Jeffery when the 416 Rigby out performs the other two? Why do we need a 300 Win mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 H&H and 300 WSM? There are always reasons and why not?

15. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    I have one but haven't shot it... Winchester Big 5 version with factory grease on it yet... I've got 4 boxes of A Square ammo. Just been super enthralled by my two 505 Gibbs rifles for hunting and haven't decided to shoot this unfired gun yet:) Although it seems a bit sad to leave it in the safe all cold and lonely:sneaky:

16. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Reloading the .470 Capstick with proper components is not a problem.

Even cases with the right headstamp are avaliable.

And, ....I did not purchased this rifle to resale it, but to keep it and to use it.

I am not the experienced African hunter, but I think, this firearm can do everything, a .416 Rigby, a .470 Nitro, or a .458 whatever can do.

And,..,with this rifle in your hands, you can follow Peter Hathaway Capstick and Col. Artur B. Alpin into the "Long Gras" and to "Silent Places"....

I think, it can become a real classic.

HWL

17. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    The .470 Capstick is ready for action....

;)

DSC01460.JPG

Pheroze, gizmo and jasyblood like this.

18. Milehighshooter

Milehighshooter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    HWL that looks like a small fortune in components you've got there. Very nice

19. Brandon.Gleason

Brandon.Gleason AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    And a rough shoulder after depending on how they're loaded!

HWL likes this.

20. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    As mentioned, the 470 Capstick is essentially a big brother to the 458 Lott (just as the 470 NE is a big brother to the 450 NE). The difference? The 470 Capstick is consideringly more rare!

ActionBob likes this.