.458 WM vs .375 H&H : complementary ?

bebo

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello,
In France :" to sell" : "BRNO ZZK 602 .458WM Wood stock. Price : 500 € ( 350 USD) .. used but seems quite alright!
I dislike this kind of stock, I prefer "american style stock" and synthetic ..340 € (250 USD)
Plus "labour" to fit the action/stock... ?
Is it a good bargain ?
What about .458WM vs .375 H&H ? Complementary ?

:wacky:

My opinion is the 375 H&H is an all around gun. You can use it for plains game to dangerous game. It's good out to 300 meters, without adjusting majorly for bullet drop. My opinion on the 458 Win is that it is a short range gun no more than 150 meters for the most part. A lot more powerful than the 375 H&H, bigger bullet, excellent for dangerous game...not a long range weapon, could definitely be used on plains game.

Both guns could be used on big game safari depending on what is being hunted. Some people would say the perfect combo.

I'm with you Enysse... :) versatility...

My best always.

Ok ... men.:thumb:

I would say If you must keep only one caliber between .375 H&H and .458WM , which do you keep ?

Another question :
Do you know the better barrel lenght for .458WM ?

If I had to choose just one it would be the 375 H&H. It's easy to shoot, relatively cheap to reload or buy ammo. I seriously looked at buying a .458 Win. but it's not cheap to load anymore. Sad truth, you can reload the .416 Rigby, .416 Rem and the .404 Jeffrey just as easy and they are actually better rifles for plains games or DG.
As far as barrel length for .458 Win, I think the standard would be a 26 in barrel but most people seem to like short barrels....less brush to catch on. You could go to a 22 or 24 inch barrel.

I used a 458 for 20 odd years of PH'ing...awesome gun when you get to know the trajectory! You can load it with 400gr bullets and have exactly the same ballistics as a 416! In terms of DG hunting, the knockdown power of 500gr bullets is hard to beat!
I do love my .375 too though! :) My 458 had a 22" barrel!
There's horses for courses! Using only one rifle to hunt with is like Bass fishing with one rod...can be done...just not quite as efficiently all round!

I used a 458 for 20 odd years of PH'ing...awesome gun when you get to know the trajectory! You can load it with 400gr bullets and have exactly the same ballistics as a 416! In terms of DG hunting, the knockdown power of 500gr bullets is hard to beat!
I do love my .375 too though! :) My 458 had a 22" barrel!
There's horses for courses! Using only one rifle to hunt with is like Bass fishing with one rod...can be done...just not quite as efficiently all round!

Agree fully with you Ole Bally

Ok everybody! You are quite clear about my questions. Thanks a lot! :thumb: :beer:

According to the price and the reputation of hardness of the ZKK 602, I think I 'm going to fall ..
I own a Winch Safari Express (last model : pre'64) cal .375 H&H , this BRNO will come in complement with ...400grs
and a new stock !!! Composite, straight, heavier with resin mixed with "little pieces of lead" inlayed inside the forearm.
I have made that for my CZ 550 cal 9.3x62 .. quite good!
And barrel length ?? 24" between "short :22" & "fishing rod : 26", but "short : 22" is easier to carry .. and not so "short" ... it's look like ..
Impact of the barrel length vs speed ? for 22" vs 24" ? Have you an opinion ? :think:
Thanks for your opinion!

With a 458 WinMag, you can easily have a 20" barrel.
The speed loss going from 24" to 22" or 20" doesn't matter in a 458.
It is not a flat shooting cartridge no matter what.
Choose the barrel length that makes you feel it balances and points well for you.

With a 458 WinMag, you can easily have a 20" barrel.
The speed loss going from 24" to 22" or 20" doesn't matter in a 458.
It is not a flat shooting cartridge no matter what.
Choose the barrel length that makes you feel it balances and points well for you.

Understood ! Good comment !;)

That's our problem : the perfect gun with the perfect ammo : versatile, reliable, cheap ... let's dream !!!:daydreaming:

Ok everybody! You are quite clear about my questions. Thanks a lot! :thumb:

..bebo, have you shot a .458 ? have you still got all your teeth..? like this..:biggrin2:

..your PH will have the heavy artillary anyway, so why lug around a heavyweight if you can do all your hunting with a .375..?

..bebo, have you shot a .458 ? have you still got all your teeth..? like this..:biggrin2:

..your PH will have the heavy artillary anyway, so why lug around a heavyweight if you can do all your hunting with a .375..?

Yes ! You're right.

I am easy with my .375 H&H (Winch Safari Express , scope Leupold 3-9x40- mount Warne QD (R), Zero range 170 yds !).

Long time ago (12 years) I have owned a .458WM Parker Hale but ... I dislike it !! Why ? Good question...
I think the stock wasn't good, too thin, not straight! And the .458WM looks "strong" but with a lack of penetration .. I have sold it...

When I have seen last week the "to sell ZKK 602 .458WM", I have thought why not ? Let's try again !

But I think to keep my .375HH and for the pleasure .. only , get the .458WM, which will stay almost, all the time in the "box " or keep only one !!

That's the reason why I ask you informations, because my first "experience" (30 to 40 shots on the range) with the .458WM hasn't been good ...
I ask me if I am the problem, not the .458WM ? maybe the Parker Hale so ...

Other solution : forget the Zkk and the .458WM !!! ........

Hello,
In France :" to sell" : "BRNO ZZK 602 .458WM Wood stock. Price : 500 € ( 350 USD) .. used but seems quite alright!
I dislike this kind of stock, I prefer "american style stock" and synthetic ..340 € (250 USD)
Plus "labour" to fit the action/stock... ?
Is it a good bargain ?
What about .458WM vs .375 H&H ? Complementary ?

:wacky:

MISTAKE Sorry : PRICE 500€ = 650 USD 340€ = 442 USD
Shame on me ...:doh2:

There is a lot of logic in what you are saying. People use to buy the 458 Win just because the bullets where a lot cheaper than the other large game calibers, but time has sort evened everything out. Certainly nothing wrong with going with big bullets and more power.

!!!! The rifle has been sold ... too late. :goodbye:
No matter, I wanted a "synthetic" stock, not easy to mount in place of the "classic wood stock" ...
Many gunsmiths here say "I can do it" but not "I can make it" ......:chaplin:

YES ! :peace:
I have found a Winch 70 Safari Express year : 2006 ? (New Haven) .416 RM with Leupold Var X III 1.5-5x20 , swivel (?) mount. : 800 US$
Perfect!:clap:
I tried it : wahou ! the recoil is a little stronger than my .375H&h, but quite acceptable ! Perfect !!:thumb:

alright this is the first thread that lve come across ,looking into a 458 win mag
its a 98 mauser with open sights.
tapped and threaded for scope/mounts.
second hand
said to have only fired factory ammo
young kody is talking me into it .
l don't need it and im not sure that l even want it .
but he is offering me to go halvies in it .
can some one fill me in on this brick thrower please
im wanting to know
recoil
how loud
effective range
price for ammo
reloading data
what would it be worth $$
the only reason im thinking about it is the father /son thing
some one talk me out of it please ...
thanks in advance

alright this is the first thread that lve come across ,looking into a 458 win mag

its a 98 mauser with open sights.
tapped and threaded for scope/mounts.
second hand
said to have only fired factory ammo
young kody is talking me into it .
l don't need it and im not sure that l even want it .
but he is offering me to go halvies in it .
can some one fill me in on this brick thrower please
im wanting to know
recoil
how loud
effective range
price for ammo
reloading data
what would it be worth $$
the only reason im thinking about it is the father /son thing
some one talk me out of it please ...
thanks in advance

It is loud, no louder than a 375 though. A 375 has a sharp recoil (but can be bench rested) where as the 416's and above seem to have a distinctive push to them (I have never benched a 458, not that they are made too be). My honest opinion is that the 458 WM or Lott or whatever. I think the caliber is very versatal as long as you practice with it and know your effective range. I guess I am one of those guys who like the slower heavier bullets. Heavy for caliber anyway.

Price of ammo $90 to $120+ USA. Recoil is stout, but a properly fit firearm will make a huge difference. I would go for it, how many times can do things with your kids? 458 guns are usually easy to find , affordable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg