.458 Win Mag on a Short Action?

and he says I am a bad influence

you are in fact a bad influence...

the VZ24 action sitting on my desk next to the .458 win mag dies that came in from midway last week confirms it..

:)
 
The 458 African was designed to fit into a standard (30/06) length action. Basically its a shortened 460 G&A. As the 458 has a straight walled case you could cut the cases back or load to a reduced COL. You cant do that with a bottleneck case as the neck would end up too short.
Alternatively, you could load 45/70.
Note that max CIP for 458WM is 62000.
 
In the post above, Daga Boy closes with a suggestion of a .45-70.
If that is worth considering, then consider the .45-90 which has a case length of 2.4 inches and a case capacity of 89.68 grains, just short of the .458 Win Mag at 93.3 .
For the 1886 .45-90 lever action rifle, the COL is 2.88. In my 1886 .45-90, we have reached 2150 fps with 450 grain bullets; there were no signs of excess pressure and the load has proven to be very effective on big game.
With a slightly longer action, the bullet could be seated further out to gain case capacity for more powder or less pressure.

Just trying to help.
Just think, you may come up with a new short-action equivalent of the .458 Win Mag with your name on it!
 
Last edited:
These guys are have been working on all the WSMs for a few years. Spoke to their office manager and she said they will open the webstore in July of this year. They do semi auto and bolt in all calibers from 6.5WSM to 458 WSM. BLRs are in development but will only be available in 358 WSM and up.

 
About 30 years ago a few guys in Alaska were building rifles for what was called the 458 Alaskan, which is the 2.5" 458 brass shortened to 2". as I recall it was an efficient cartridge and used the lighter 458 bullets (350-400 grain). It might be something to consider for the short action.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,772
Members
169,617
Latest member
VGYDexter
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top