.458 Win Mag Official Measurements

Foxi

AH legend
Joined
Jul 31, 2012
Messages
2,635
Reaction score
6,419
Location
Austria
Media
199
Articles
9
Hunting reports
Africa
7
Europe
1
Hi guys.

For the interested reloaders among you.
I have now had my loaded .458 cartridges (five rounds) measured by the Bavarian proof house in Munich.

480 gn Degol bullets FMJ ,RWS R 903 Powder, 76 gn load.

In the straight middle area I have loaded these and therefore air is going up.
Speed 645 m/s = 2116,14 f/s
Energy 6476 joules (647 kg)
Pressure 3349 bar
Measured at V1 and V2 ,i.e. muzzle energy quasi.

I am almost 1.000 bar below the maximum pressure and could certainly increase the speed with more aggressive powder and a larger charge.
But why?
A good shot, with a good bullet is the answer.
Energy is enough.

Best wishes
Foxi

.458 Messdaten.jpg
 
“Bavarian proof house”? Sounds like an agency for checking the alcohol content in spirits instead of approving firearm cartridges? Ha! Ha!
 
“Bavarian proof house”? Sounds like an agency for checking the alcohol content in spirits instead of approving firearm cartridges? Ha! Ha!

Sure , sometimes people drink something , but otherwise rifles and ammunition are tested there !:)
 
Be careful! You'll enrage the 458 Lott crowd, with their 80fps more velocity at the same pressure and powder compression! :A Stirring::A Outta:
Uh oh! I can see Pandora’s box starting to open! Ha! Ha!
 
I had no idea how to translate "Beschussamt ."
As long as it wasn't a Bavarian Puff -house :whistle:
“Bavarian Puff house”? Where they check the alcohol content of spirits by mixing the spirit with black powder and igniting it? This process is to assure the spirit(s) aren’t watered down which then wouldn’t ignite the gunpowder and go “poof”! I wouldn’t try it with smokeless powder, but it might work? Ha! Ha!
 
I am waiting for my 458 lott license and playing aroound with Quickload it became very clear that the 480gr bullet will do what I want. So I'm going to settle on 480gr Woodleigh soft and solid.
I can push the 480gr to almost 2300fps but I see no need for it. So Im going to settle just around 2200fps no pressure issues and animals will still die even if the bullet was 20gr lighter. :ROFLMAO:

If the win mag came out with a 480gr bullet instead of a 500gr bullet I dont think the lott would have existed.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,437
Messages
1,576,238
Members
170,536
Latest member
KAOLavina1
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top