450 Marlin in a bolt action rifle?

425 Westley Richards?

I like your collection thus far. Good luck with the quest. I think you should be able to source components through Summach Sports.

https://www.summachsports.com

Good luck!

Reactions: IvW
@Red Leg hey no problems I could have worded my response better. So how about when I am in africa in May the first night under the southern cross beside the fire I toast all your friends and all mine that we have lost in harms way? and then toast a couple lucky old cranky guys, knowing that we had a couple guardian angels watching over us:P Viking:
I see you and Red Leg served to protect our freedoms, I Thank You! I will also toast all past and present men and women who fight for freedom! I will be in Limpopo the first week of May at Impisi Safari for my first African adventure with my daughter.

Boyd THANK YOU.

Also if you decide to build the 450, PM me and I have load data for 400 and 350gr Swift A-frames, and 400 and 325gr CEB Solids

crs,

2050 fps is the velocity for the hornady 450-400 factory load. my rifle has a 25.5" barrel and shoots it at 2096 fps avg.

a 2300 fps load is more than a 2050 fps load with a 400 gr bullet. more energy, more recoil. not sure if an animal can tell the difference from a well placed bullet. i suspect not. well....at least moose can't tell the difference!

...here it comes.... Mauser M98 in .450 Marlin.

DSC00074.jpg

...and first strike....

DSC00369.JPG

...I love these rifle!

(y)

HWL

@HWL I like the rifle and looks like it took care of the pigs quite well. The factory loads from Hornaday are set up for lever gun pressures and are a bit lacking. With handloads with a quality premium bullet loaded to boltgun pressures wakes the 450 up a bit. Not going to ever be in the stopping rifle category but different and allot of fun to shoot.

If you are heading out in May, probably too late for a custom M98 450 Marlin to be built up for you. Either try the Ruger or to find one already built up for sale.

If you reload, you should be able to seat the bullets out a fair bit more than for a lever gun. This will give you much needed extra powder space for the heavier bullets. As already pointed out, you can also safely load the bolt gun to a higher pressure, so your combination will most definitely be in a higher level than a hotted up 45-70 Marlin.

Depending on what you are going after, I would concentrate on quality bullets in the 350-450 gr range, of course there are the 300-325 gr if you are primarily going after lighter game.

@ Boyd Brooks...

For me, the .450 Marlin is an ideal pig/hog number, not an african...

No doubt, you can hunt in africa with, but there are better cartridges for this,.... 9,3x62/64, 10,75x68, .404 Rimless, .375 H & H, you name it.

...all this will fit in you Mauser M98

HWL

@HWL I like the rifle and looks like it took care of the pigs quite well. The factory loads from Hornaday are set up for lever gun pressures and are a bit lacking. With handloads with a quality premium bullet loaded to boltgun pressures wakes the 450 up a bit. Not going to ever be in the stopping rifle category but different and allot of fun to shoot.

I calculated loads with Quick Load, operating at pressures, a Mauser M98 can withstand safely...

...there is a lot of fun!!! (y)

HWL

@HWL...
I was just asking the question if a 450 Marlin would qualify for Africa as it is a 45 caliber. It was never my intent to build one to use there, I have a 416 Taylor for that purpose. I would use it at home for moose and black bears. The bush around my hunt camp is thick and a two hundred yard shot would be a long one, average length 70 to 100 yards. Also I just like things that are a little different, not so main stream as a 30-06 or a 300 win mag.
I own a 450 Marlin in a Winchester 94AE with a short 18" magna ported barrel from the factory. I am just not as fan of lever guns and not that great at follow up shots with one! I was going to build the bolt rifle to replace the lever gun, as I have dies, lots of ammo and brass already.
One can always use a new toy.:giggle:

@HWL...

I own a 450 Marlin in a Winchester 94AE with a short 18" magna ported barrel from the factory. I am just not as fan of lever guns and not that great at follow up shots with one! I was going to build the bolt rifle to replace the lever gun, as I have dies, lots of ammo and brass already.

Hornady made long and short cases,... separate your cases,... with the long (original) one, you can squeeze out every ft/lbs of energy from your Mauser M98

A 24" barrel and top powder selection is als helpfull, Barnes 300 gr TAC-TX BT is my favorite choice.

HWL

@HWL...
I was just asking the question if a 450 Marlin would qualify for Africa as it is a 45 caliber. It was never my intent to build one to use there, I have a 416 Taylor for that purpose. I would use it at home for moose and black bears. The bush around my hunt camp is thick and a two hundred yard shot would be a long one, average length 70 to 100 yards. Also I just like things that are a little different, not so main stream as a 30-06 or a 300 win mag.

Do you ha e the timber carbine? I have been looking for one recently! Seems very hard to find!

@fsrmg1 I currently own a 450 Marlin in a short action Ruger 77. I seat the bullets to length of the magazine and to where they feed well, I load swift flat point (Designed for leverguns) A-Frames in 350 and 400 gr along with 325gr CEB solids. Like @HWL I used quick loads to give myself a basis to start loading from and started 10% below and worked my way up for my rifle. I am getting 2270FPS with the 350's and 2075 with the 400's. It is one of my Anything in North America rifles. It would be good for plains game and I would hunt cats with it know my capabilities. However wouldn't use it for , buff, hippo, rhino, or elephant. There are also better choices for the cats in my safe. with the 350's It would be a fun plains game hammer for under 150yards. I am taking 2 doubles in may (450/400 and 577BPE) My 450 will probably never see africa but alaska is another story.

Reactions: HWL
@Travis2282 if you are looking for a lever gun You might want to consider the Browning BLR. Much stronger action than the WIN or Marlin rifles. Feeds from a magizine vs a tube so you can use pinted bullets. I have shot all three levergun and like the Browning the best.

I agree but something about the winchesters I just love!

I believe the Winchester timber in 450 Marlin was only offered for a couple years, the little 6lbs short carbine, and not a lot made. It has been brought back in the short rifle which has a full length tube mag. Not as nice looking in my opinion as the timber with the half mag. My timber is a great carry gun, light, short and packs a punch in the thick stuff. Other than mine I have only seen one other and it sold at action for $1600.00 plus fees and tax!

Yea I like the pistol grip on the timber vs the straight stock on the takedown and such!

I had a chance to buy one of the Winchesters but that muzzle break was a deal breaker for me. I HATE MUZZLE BREAK's . Their great for those that like them. but I will pass.

I had a chance to buy one of the Winchesters but that muzzle break was a deal breaker for me. I HATE MUZZLE BREAK's . Their great for those that like them. but I will pass.
They called it Magnaporting :giggle:. Actually it is not that bad there a 10 holes, 5 on each side of the front site, which does not blow much s..t out to the sides. I would not add this feature aftermarket but it was already there. It is a real nice carry tool though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.