45-70 vs 450/400 3" (why the 450/400 3" is similar but superior)

Postoak,
Does this look like a light rifle? 9.5 pounds unloaded . Yes, 400 grainers at 2000+ fps has been done.
View attachment 425064
Before you ask about the steel crescent butt plate, no if held right, it acts as a base for rotation of the heavy full octagon barrel and there is no pain or bruising. Just tuck the lower point into your arm pit and blast away. Keep both eyes open and see all as the barrel rises in recoil and then settles back down right on target.

Forrest thinks I am eccentric, but I am not crazy or self destructive.
Admirably eccentric!

It puzzles me that the use of a crescent butt plate must be explained. I figured this out at a very young age. How are people misusing this?

I figured it out when I first took it to the shooting range bench rest. Solved the problem then and there.

Most folks that say they hate the crescent may just be slow learners. :)

Actually, several of them said they mounted the crescent same as a shotgun and that the recoil hurt them (bruised, pinched, hurt, ,,,) . Some even got rid of some good rifles --their loss.

The opening post states 2000 fps with 400 grain bullets in the .45-70, but is that actually doable? The highest I've read anyone getting is 1900 fps. Also, the .45-70 is usually a light rifle (mine weighed 8 1/3 pounds). Recoil isn't going to be pleasant even at 1900 fps.

I don't lean on my 45-70 1895GBL quite that hard, but I can tell you that 425 and 525 gr bullets at 1600+ are rather unpleasant off the bench. Off of sticks or freehand, piece of cake - I could shoot those heavies all day long like that.

But, I am 6'6", and there isn't a shooting bench anywhere where I can sit up straight and shoot, I'm always hunched over and leaning forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!