Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
question please. given the new 4457 forms have no date if your rifle is still in your ownership can’t i use it for multiple years? no opinions here on this please. i need exact

thanks

If you want exact answers you need to ask one of the services who help hunters with pre-approved rifle permits in South Africa. For US customs, even when it had an expiration date printed on it, it didn’t actually have an expiration date on US side. The answer will vary by country what they are willing to accept and not accept since we don’t have formal gun licenses in US.

RiflePermits will instruct you that your 4457 needs stamped/signed for the same year of travel/hunt.
I had the same question a couple years back.

Correct. Henry also advised me it must be within 6 months of arrival date.

It should be noted you can hunt a lot of places with the same 4457 from previous years, Spain and Canada are the first examples that come to mind. A 4457 dated in the year of your hunt is a South African practice and likely some other countries as well.

It should be noted you can hunt a lot of places with the same 4457 from previous years, Spain and Canada are the first examples that come to mind. A 4457 dated in the year of your hunt is a South African practice and likely some other countries as well.
My nderstanding: Many countries have gun PERMITS. The Form 5744 is accepted as evidence of a valid permit by most of these countries. Ask your CPB agent signing to strike any expiration date on the form when he/she signs it. For entry into the USA the same permit may be used over and over as it is simply proof that you OWN the items on the list - guns, cameras, binoculars, etc, and they were in your possesion before your left the USA and are not liable for customs duty. The problem is acceptance by the country visited. This acceptance varies by country. Your outfitter will assist in making clear what you need for the country you intend to visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.