444 Marlin

Don458

AH enthusiast
Joined
Mar 6, 2018
Messages
486
Reaction score
1,014
Location
Long Island NY
Media
9
Member of
NRA USPSA Brooklyn schuetzen corp
Does anyone have any load info for the older 444 marlins with the 1 in 38” twist barrel? Seems very limited if anyone has any pet loads please share. Using Hornady 265 gr bullets .
 
This is the Interlock right?

If so, I played around with this bullet in my 44 Magnum Marlin (same twist rate). I was running at around 1750fps with a near max load of H110. Stabilised fine, good accuracy out to 100yards anyway. I'm going to try it on a deer sometime this year.

I guess you might want to go a bit hotter, but the bullet should stabilise ok if that was the concern!

Al.
 
I’ll have to look at mine when I get home. Can’t remember the twist. I do have a decent load using a 265g cast has checked Ranch Dog bullet.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.41 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 381
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.42 AM.png
    560.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.33 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.34 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 309
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.44 AM.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.35 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 272
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.36 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.37 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 273
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.38 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 328
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.08.40 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 218
Does anyone have any load info for the older 444 marlins with the 1 in 38” twist barrel? Seems very limited if anyone has any pet loads please share. Using Hornady 265 gr bullets .
Don458.
47 grains of ADI 2207/ Hogdon 4198.
You can SAFELY use this load with any 265grain projectile in a full length case
265 FTX are a different load all together.
Cheers mate Bob
 
43.5gr H4198 with the 265gr gas checked Ranch Dog bullet is my go to. Open sights at 75 yards I can clover leaf 3 rounds.
IMG_8397.JPG
 
Hi All .
I realize this is a 444 thread but do any of you have any good information to share about re-loading accurate loads for the Marlin .44 mag ? ( Or know where to find it , maybe on this forum )
I have a 1980’s microgroove Marlin lever action in .44 Mag and am battling to get it to group at 50m .
 
The load listed on the target is for my 444 marlin built on an SMLE NO4 ACTION.
THIS LOAD IS NEVER TO BE USED IN A MARLUN ACTION AS DAMAGE TO THE RIFLE AND SHOOER MAY RESULT.
20191105_120646.jpg

This is a 100 yard target with THE 265 FTX using a full length case. This can't be done in the marlin as the case must be one tenth of an inch shorter to allow it to feed.
Cases for the factory FTX load can't be reloaded using standard dies and require new dimension dies.
The 265 flat nose soft point can be loaded normally.
My load is over maximum for the marlin and should never be used in it.
It gives the 265 projectiles 2,400+ fps which gives one hello of a wallop on both ends.
20191105_120003.jpg

My 444 Marlin on an SMLE NO4 ACTION with a 22 inch MAB 1 in 20 twist barrel. All up weight 7.5 pounds.
Bob
 
Hi Bob .

Thx for the information , I definitely will not try your load in a lever action .
It is an interesting rifle you have made , I have never seen an old 303 converted to 444 , and I have never heard of that conversion being done here in SA .
Must be a great hunting rifle , extremely accurate with good “hitting power” , good looking too . Would make a great bushveld rifle for Africa .
Thx for sharing .
 
Hi Bob .

Thx for the information , I definitely will not try your load in a lever action .
It is an interesting rifle you have made , I have never seen an old 303 converted to 444 , and I have never heard of that conversion being done here in SA .
Must be a great hunting rifle , extremely accurate with good “hitting power” , good looking too . Would make a great bushveld rifle for Africa .
Thx for sharing .
I would like to have this rifle in a 405 win
 
C1EA48A5-38FD-4867-82B9-3EC7EB4B0A9E.jpeg
Hi All .
I realize this is a 444 thread but do any of you have any good information to share about re-loading accurate loads for the Marlin .44 mag ? ( Or know where to find it , maybe on this forum )
I have a 1980’s microgroove Marlin lever action in .44 Mag and am battling to get it to group at 50m .
This is from lymans 45th edition. 1970. Hope it helps
 
Hi All .
I realize this is a 444 thread but do any of you have any good information to share about re-loading accurate loads for the Marlin .44 mag ? ( Or know where to find it , maybe on this forum )
I have a 1980’s microgroove Marlin lever action in .44 Mag and am battling to get it to group at 50m .

I used the Nosler data and my Hornady book as a guide. Linky: https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/44-remington-magnum-hg/

For full fat jacketed loads, H110 can't be beat imho. Fantastic velocities and pleasing accuracy in my Marlin.

For hard cast and plinking, Unique works well. A charge in the region of 6.5-7 grains will provide around 1000fps with a 240gr and groups well.

Al.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.37.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.37.15 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 275
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.37.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.37.17 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 691
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.37.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.37.18 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 232

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,159
Members
169,499
Latest member
VenettaFit
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top