425WR questions

The ones WR make today are based on a M98 action, control feed, with the side clips. The “most exquisite 425 ever made” followed this model. From WR’s Explora:

“Not all .425 WR rifles had this pair of guides fitted but the better quality ones certainly did.”

I‘m not aware of anyone else making them. I suspect that some custom gunsmiths may make one if asked, and it would likely be the first and only one they ever make. I think it’s a great cartridge, it simply doesn’t do anything a 416 and 404 can’t.
 
The ones WR make today are based on a M98 action, control feed, with the side clips. The “most exquisite 425 ever made” followed this model. From WR’s Explora:

“Not all .425 WR rifles had this pair of guides fitted but the better quality ones certainly did.”

I‘m not aware of anyone else making them. I suspect that some custom gunsmiths may make one if asked, and it would likely be the first and only one they ever make. I think it’s a great cartridge, it simply doesn’t do anything a 416 and 404 can’t.
Thanks for the info
 
My .425 WR was built on a Model 70 Winchester action, which previously had accomodated a RUM cartridge. Since the WR case body is practically identical with that of the RUM cartridges, no magazine work was required and since I make my WR cases from RUM cases, no alteration of the bolt face to accomodate the rebated rim is needed. I have an extra bolt with a .30-'06 bolt face which I believe would work with factory WR cases, if I ever acquired any.
 
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.01.58 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.01.58 AM Large.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.01 AM Large.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.03 AM Large.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 192
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.04 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.04 AM Large.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.05 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.05 AM Large.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.06 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.06 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.06 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.06 AM Large.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.07 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.07 AM Large.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.09 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.09 AM Large.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.10 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.10 AM Large.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.11 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.11 AM Large.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.12 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.12 AM Large.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.13 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.13 AM Large.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.14 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.14 AM Large.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.15 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-14 at 8.02.15 AM Large.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 240
My .425 WR was built on a Model 70 Winchester action, which previously had accomodated a RUM cartridge. Since the WR case body is practically identical with that of the RUM cartridges, no magazine work was required and since I make my WR cases from RUM cases, no alteration of the bolt face to accomodate the rebated rim is needed. I have an extra bolt with a .30-'06 bolt face which I believe would work with factory WR cases, if I ever acquired any.
That’s a good Idea to use RUM cases for 425 so you don’t have a rebated rim
 
1) Control Round Feed, since the only firm who’ll reliably build one for you is Westley Richards and they use standard length Mayfair Engineering Mauser Model 98 actions.

2) Essentially, no. The employees at both James Purdey & Sons and Dorleac & Dorleac told me that they are extremely hesitant to build rifles in this caliber on account of the rebated rim, which “Makes feeding tricky”.
 
At least the German dealer Johannsen has still brass in 425 WR available:

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.45.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.45.25 AM.png
    882.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.45.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.45.27 AM.png
    561.4 KB · Views: 174

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,538
Latest member
AntjeI3318
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top