416 WSM first range trip

Without seeing it i could be completely wrong, but.
It sound more like the second round is not sliding up the magazine ramp at the front of the magazine. The blunter round nose projectiles might just be fowling on a lip where the pointed projectiles ramp past the lip/edge.
The 1st round when mag is full with 3 rounds feeds from the right side and second jamming cartridge from the left side.
So what can I do to correct this?
 
The 1st round when mag is full with 3 rounds feeds from the right side and second jamming cartridge from the left side.
So what can I do to correct this?
If the rounds are not feeding from the left side, there is a pretty good chance that the rear of your mag box is not fully seated. Check to make sure that the box is fully flush along it's entire length.
 
The 1st round when mag is full with 3 rounds feeds from the right side and second jamming cartridge from the left side.
First confirm per hoytcanon.
Does the 3rd round feed? Also on the right side.
As it feeds pointed projectiles OK, have a look at the left side of th feed ramp, to see where the point of the round nose projectile is relative to the ramp. Also repeat the process with a pointed projectile.
Then you should be able to work out where you need to modify the feed ramp.
We are talking about the feed ramp at the front of the magazine - not the action rails
 
Once I dig out the 2nd round the 3rd round feeds from the right ok. It’s a staggered box mag, R, L, R, 3 rounds full.
Will check other stuff as you guys suggested.
Thanks.
 
Anyone ever tried pulling the tip off 416 Barnes ttsx bullets 350gr and shooting them?
With my short action it would give me alot more powder capacity.
Since I have a lot of them and a short bush rifle not a long range setup why not?
 
Anyone ever tried pulling the tip off 416 Barnes ttsx bullets 350gr and shooting them?
With my short action it would give me alot more powder capacity.
Since I have a lot of them and a short bush rifle not a long range setup why not?
I have done it with other bullets... you just recreate the TSX.
 
Loaded some 300gr TSX w/66 & 67 gr W748 powder, accuracy not good but definitely a faster round.
Tried 66 gr of IMR4895 good accuracy, my new load for moose this year.
The cartridge seems to prefer extruded powder to ball powder.
 
1789692863001.png

I have been using ADI AR2206H which is sold in USA as H4895 and looking at the ADI Equivalent chart is very similar to IMR 4895.
In a 22" barrel with 70gr of AR2206H behind a 350Speer Hot Core I get 2420fps. The powder charge is just to the start of the neck, so it is close to 100% density and no pressure concerns.
I am sure that your load will very effectively kill anything that walks your continent, but you could flatten the trajectory if you loaded closer to 70grs.
Do you have any pressure signs?
Here is the data from my load development with the 350g Hot Cores.
1789693589402.png
 
View attachment 793111
I have been using ADI AR2206H which is sold in USA as H4895 and looking at the ADI Equivalent chart is very similar to IMR 4895.
In a 22" barrel with 70gr of AR2206H behind a 350Speer Hot Core I get 2420fps. The powder charge is just to the start of the neck, so it is close to 100% density and no pressure concerns.
I am sure that your load will very effectively kill anything that walks your continent, but you could flatten the trajectory if you loaded closer to 70grs.
Do you have any pressure signs?
Here is the data from my load development with the 350g Hot Cores.
View attachment 793115
At 67gr IMR4895 my loads are compressed. 66gr is full but not compressed. I have a short action 2.860”OAL.
 
I have a short action
I guess that is the difference compared to the Siamese Mauser. It would be interesting to see what velocity you are getting.
Regardless, it is going to be effective, there was only 100fps difference for me between 66gr and 70gr.
 
With the 350gr Speers and the same powder charge I was getting 2230fps, so I would think I’d be getting another 100fps with the 300 gr TSX. Have to get a chrony.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,485
Members
169,573
Latest member
clytedostai1975
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top