416 Taylor load data for Barnes bullets

Boyd Brooks

AH ambassador
Joined
Mar 9, 2017
Messages
6,125
Reaction score
66,254
Location
Harcourt Ontario & Buckeye AZ
Media
13
Member of
OFAH, North American Hunt Club
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA
In search of any load data for 300, 325 and 350 grain Barnes bullets for my 416 Taylor.
The only book I have with Taylor load data is Woodleigh and it only has 340 and 400 grain bullets listed.
 
Pet Loads by Ken Waters contains a 1974 article with data on 300 and 400-grain Colorado Custom bullets.
300-grain Colorado Custom Semi-Spitzer
72.0 gn IMR3031 - 2680 fps - most accurate load with high velocity
73.0 gn IMR4064 - 2569 fps
72,0 gn IMR4320 - 2521 fps - second most accurate load
75.0 gn 2711 fps-MAXIMUM

Ruger 77 with 24" barrel.
Ken commented that Robert Chatfield-Taylor did not like 4064 because of inferior accuracy.
IMR 4320 has not been produced for some years.
Hope this helps.
 
IMR4320 is extremely accurate and gives great velocities in the 416 Taylor. But as previously mentioned, sadly discontinued. I stock piled as much as I could when it was announced to be next on the chopping block. But I've also reworked some of my loads with different powders and found Varget to be the best alternative, albeit for 400 and 430gr North Forks. For lighter you may also consider H4895, if you happen to have it, and use the Woodleigh manual as a decent reference.
 
IMR4320 is extremely accurate and gives great velocities in the 416 Taylor. But as previously mentioned, sadly discontinued. I stock piled as much as I could when it was announced to be next on the chopping block. But I've also reworked some of my loads with different powders and found Varget to be the best alternative, albeit for 400 and 430gr North Forks. For lighter you may also consider H4895, if you happen to have it, and use the Woodleigh manual as a decent reference.
Thank you, I have H4895 and the Woodleigh manual. It only has 400gr and 340gr projectiles listed. I’ve been reloading a long time but have never been tempted to work up any load not published in a book. I also have never gone outside the min max listed either.
 
You might also take a look at the manual "Modern Reloading", 2003, Richard Lee, second edition, as another source for load data for jacketed bullets in 300 and 350 grains in .416 Taylor.
 
Yes, not to hijack the thread but the loss of IMR 4320 was not welcomed. It was my long go to for the 458 Lott and gave me the2250+ fps in the Lott with consistent accuracy and low vel spread.
 

Check this previous thread post. Various powder loads for 300 and 350 grain bullets
 

Check this previous thread post. Various powder loads for 300 and 350 grain bullets
Thank you, for the information, looks like a starting point for me.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,376
Messages
1,574,502
Members
170,051
Latest member
1winbizpk
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top