416 Taylor Info and Advice

I have so far taken 23 African game with my Taylor including two buffalo. It shoots fantastically well with 400gr A-Frame, but these are impossible to get these days. On my trip last year I loaded the North Fork 370SS and 370CPS with very satisfactory results. Use HH and Norma brass when I travel and 458 brass when I shoot at home. Gunpowder Norma 203B. Very impressed with the performance, first buffalo went down after 30m and the second after 10m. Of three zebras and two wildebeest, one of each did not fall immediately but only went a short distance. Can only congratulate you on your choice of caliber and hope you get to hunt with it.

IMG-20230517-WA0011.jpg

416 Taylor.JPG

My 416 Taylor is a Custom LAWSON on an FN action with a 25" barrel.
It has 4-slot Magna-porting and weighs 8 pounds 7 ounces.
It has very manageable recoil with 400g bullets.
Recoil is less than a 375 H&H.

416fn-8.jpg
416fn-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my semi custom .416 Taylor Whitworth. 23" barrel. I'm able to load 4 rounds in the magazine.

IMG_0477.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for their contributions --- this is turning out to be a wealth of information and eye candy!!

It appears, interestingly, that I'm going to have to wait to shoot the 416 Taylor, as I'm taking my time to find components unless they come along to smack me in the face. That said, in a few hours, I'm meeting up with someone that is rehoming a different 416 into my collection --- a Ruger No.1 in 416 Rem Mag. That one, unlike this, is coming as pictures with some factory ammo, brass and I already have sets of dies, so it's on pace to get tested much quicker.

When I had the opportunity to grab it I wasn't going to say no as I was quoted a price I couldn't resist, but also I think long term it's going to be really fun to put it side by side to the Taylor.

1708442016792.jpeg

All of you guys have some beautiful wood on your rifles!

That price makes me think that I got an amazing deal on mine --- granted it's a much different config and that one says "model 70", but I'll take it in my mind to justify it!!

Last edited:
That price makes me think that I got an amazing deal on mine --- granted it's a much different config and that one says "model 70", but I'll take it in my mind to justify it!!
That’s in Canadian dollars. You save 36% with today’s exchange rate!

I mean, it's still a fair chunk of maple money. Unrelated by fun fact --- there's a rumor that Canadian bills are maple scented. I used to play up that rumor by bringing some back to the states from Canada after hitting them with syrup on purpose. Good times.

I mean, it's still a fair chunk of maple money. Unrelated by fun fact --- there's a rumor that Canadian bills are maple scented. I used to play up that rumor by bringing some back to the states from Canada after hitting them with syrup on purpose. Good times.
Sh*t maple syrup is almost worth its weight in gold. For good amber syrup it’s running about $20.00 a litre ( a little larger than a fifth).

One of the most hilarious videos ever made was the Comedy Central/Daily show episode on the great Canadian Maple heist. Jason Jones did it but I can't find a link to share sadly.

Whelp --- I can definitely say Black Betty (as I've named her already) is going to get to workout soon. Terrible shame I had to take this one for the team to pair next to the Taylor.

Ruger No.1, B&C Synthetic Stock set, Conetrol mount with a Leupold VXII 3-9 and a ton of brass. She feels super nice in the hands too.

1708472924250.png

That’s in Canadian dollars. You save 36% with today’s exchange rate!
Wonder what all the bureaucratic paperwork and shipping fees to the US would be? I know the "Big Guy" Brandon would have to get his cut too. LOL

I have so far taken 23 African game with my Taylor including two buffalo. It shoots fantastically well with 400gr A-Frame, but these are impossible to get these days. On my trip last year I loaded the North Fork 370SS and 370CPS with very satisfactory results. Use HH and Norma brass when I travel and 458 brass when I shoot at home. Gunpowder Norma 203B. Very impressed with the performance, first buffalo went down after 30m and the second after 10m. Of three zebras and two wildebeest, one of each did not fall immediately but only went a short distance. Can only congratulate you on your choice of caliber and hope you get to hunt with it.

View attachment 588370
View attachment 588371

Very nice! Your 370 gr North Forks have the same SD as a 286 Gr 9,3, and a 300 Gr 375 at .305 - a proven performer

I to have that pet loads book. I also have another one. Cartridges of the world that has a entry about the taylor
IMG_20240220_210139_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240220_210157_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Thom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.