.416 Rigby racket..

My 416 Rigby Big Game took some getting used to. It's a step up in recoil compared to my 375 H&H double, or a Model 70 in 375.
The Rigby weighs a little over 10 pounds including the Leupold scope. Once I got used to it and quit flinching, the recoil is manageable, more of a strong push than a sharp punch. The stock design is great and absorbs a lot of the recoil.
When hunting in Africa the last two years, it's really true that you don't notice the recoil when shooting at buffalo or other game.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I forgot to add that it does get the attention of other shooters on the range, especially since the range where I shoot has a metal roof over the firing line. The Rigby makes quite a boom.

A very hard hitting and versatile caliber. I have killed a variety of game with mine .

One of these days will also get back to my 416 Rigby projects (mine is a 20 yr old CZ mauser). To me, something about this diameter seems a natural in terms of accuracy.

Iron & scoped. Both have done well with 4350 & 4831 and various jacketed bullets like Speer, Hornady & Barnes.

But interested in Iron/brass bead sighting perhaps with 4198 and Trall Boss plus considering other powders w/ 360g cast RFN... though dont really need the gas check plus these are like hard solids so should get some cheaper bevel base bullets perhaps, for target use am thinking.

Thanks for posting

I have a never shot nor heard the likes of the .416 Rigby! I recently purchased a Ruger No.1 in this caliber and SUNDAY.. is GUNDAY! Fellas, what can I expect? Can anyone describe what it sounds like? I can imagine this thing is going to get everyone's attention,..ESPECIALLY ME!!
Cajun Hunter is preparing for an elephant hunt next month so has been shooting both .416’s. Rigby and Remington. Suggestion would be to shoot from a standing position behind your bags. If you reload which I am guessing not, based on your text, by all means start with. 300 gr. bullets and work your way up to the heavier stuff. My Remington is in a Remington rifle which in my opinion has a better stock design and should produce less recoil than the Rigby which is in a CZ and has more drop in the stock. At same velocities and bullet weights the Remington’s recoil is more harsh. It’s a higher pressure cartridge so I guess that’s the reason. In any case, shooting either rifle with 400gr. bullets at 2400+ more than 6 or 8 times gives me a pretty good headache. These calibers are intended kill what’s in front of them so basic physics dictates there will be some degree of punishment on the back end as well. Good luck with yours!

I actually had one of these many moons ago
It wasn’t as abusive as my 470NE but I still swapped it off. Not a bench rifle but few are when u go past a 4

The recoil really pounds your @$$!!! Lol!
We refer to that as forcible posterior intrusion...
My Lott weighs about 9 .5 lbs and is quite comfortable to shoot. Even a 515 gr bullet at 2330 fps did not cause any anal leakage. So you should be good with your 416. And if you do want to reduce recoil then use some lead weights in the stock. I am convinced Mercury reducers just add weight anyway.
Surely you're not referring to the 515gr bullet at 2330 as comfortable to shoot. That's like 85 ft-lbs of free recoil.

I had heard some say that the. 416 Rigby was the stoutest recoiling of the #1's. As the Lott is less common and the .470's and up are custom orders that are quite rare. The .450/.400 is also well suited to offend ones senses due to its lightweight build, but not as common to come upon. Thus I believe this .416 Rigby is the one most come into contact with that causes sensory offense. The .375 H&H is quite the enjoyable experience for its liveliness and report, but does not become "quite rude" until one starts to load 300 grain bullets well in excess of 2600 fps. I'd imagine the. 416 Rigby to be even more ballistically resilient than the .375 when loaded to more modern pressures. It calls to me in a Siren's song, but I have little desire to answer it with its high cost of ammunition.

Surely you're not referring to the 515gr bullet at 2330 as comfortable to shoot. That's like 85 ft-lbs of free recoil.
Of course, if it was a double I would use 2 fingers to fire both barrels at the same time. Here hold my beer and watch this :P Banana:. ....my normal rounds 515 gr at 2190 fps and some win mag rounds of 450 and 480 gr at 2250 and 2150 fps respectively. Those are pretty comfortable to shoot but not off the bench.

Stoney Point shooting rest, 3 shots to peel the steel with my RSM 416 Rigby. Learned my lesson, shooting from the bench not advised.

20220920_121656.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 416 Rigby is fine to shoot….if the rifle is heavy enough. Even a dozen over the bench aren’t too much of an issue. My first range session I fired 30 Hornady DG rounds through her and 20 reloads…400 grain Woodleighs and 90 grains of 2209. ( not as stout as the Hornady factory stuff) probably fired a total of about 20 rounds over the bench.

oh yeah….out of a No. 1 it’ll probably make you pay attention

Last edited:
It’s just okay on steel plate…. when I hit it. Plate was at 110 meters.

Cajun Hunter is preparing for an elephant hunt next month so has been shooting both .416’s. Rigby and Remington. Suggestion would be to shoot from a standing position behind your bags. If you reload which I am guessing not, based on your text, by all means start with. 300 gr. bullets and work your way up to the heavier stuff. My Remington is in a Remington rifle which in my opinion has a better stock design and should produce less recoil than the Rigby which is in a CZ and has more drop in the stock. At same velocities and bullet weights the Remington’s recoil is more harsh. It’s a higher pressure cartridge so I guess that’s the reason. In any case, shooting either rifle with 400gr. bullets at 2400+ more than 6 or 8 times gives me a pretty good headache. These calibers are intended kill what’s in front of them so basic physics dictates there will be some degree of punishment on the back end as well. Good luck with yours!
Hello Cajunhunter, from CajunchefRay, in South Louisiana.

I pass through Grosse Tête a few times a year when going back to my farm in Acadiana. We should shoot together some time.

Regarding the .416 Remington and the.416 Rigby, have shot both, reloaded for both and can definitely say that while the Remington is higher pressure, the Rigby uses 15% more powder for the same velocity ( larger case) and kicks more.
No doubt the Remington 700 works better for you in stock design and fit.
Makes a Big difference in recoil.
Individual fit really counts, as in suits and ladies.

Consistent practice will help with recoil management.

I have had a no1 in 416Rigby, it was a horrible rifle. Why? Because the stock was "shaped" more lie a 2x6 pice of lumber then a rifle stock.
Sold it on. But pretty sure a proper stock would tame the beast to a manageable gun.
This old fella had one, and stupidly sold it, tried to source another from a great bloke over there, but difficulties exporting/importing caused problems. You can load it back with lighter bullets, 350s, maybe, but if you shoot it like a man, standing on your own two feet, recoil is manageable; this from a bloke with a much busted dislocated shoulder. 350s @ 2700+/-, or Woodleigh 450s @ 2100+/-.

Agree with WAB.

I love Ruger Number 1’s owned, and still own several.
The Big Bore (over .40 caliber), Ruger No1’s can be like a blunt spear.

i shoot a Ruger No. 1 of 450/400 Nitro. It’s fitted with a 1 inch Pachmyr Decelerator pad. Factory loads are a beast.

My double rifle regulation loads with smaller charges of Reloader 15 are tolerable in the Ruger.

I have owned two 416 Rigby rifles, a Ruger M77 Safari, and a CZ550.
The CZ stock design works up to.500 Jeffery.
Due to stock design and weight/balance, the CZ, was much easier to shoot."

Have owned two Number Ones in .416 Remington Mag, one was okay to shoot, the second was stiff. Probably stock fit dimensions.
Following advice from the many “old hands” here, enjoy shooting your Ruger.416 Rigby shooting off sticks, with a proper recoil pad, slinger up; if you hand load, use the lowest, most accurate powder charge

there’s a difference in 90+ grain powder charges, and 105+ powder charges.
Stock design/build to suit you is essential; I'm lucky, having a master stock builder as a best mate; we often discuss this ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross