.416 Gibbs

Alexandro Faria

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 15, 2015
Messages
324
Reaction score
364
Location
Pretoria
Media
20
Articles
8
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
So, this only the second time I've come across any mention of this caliber; once in an old hunting book I picked up in my mentors study (I was young and can't recall the title) and now in a magazine. I assume, at first, that it was a typing error, but I'm no longer so sure. Anyone have any info they would be willing to share?
 
im guessing you mean .461 Gibbs, not 416?
Dont know much besides what i read in a magazine, probably the same magazine you read!! :)
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farquharson_rifle

Frederick Courteney Selous, was aBritishexplorer, officer, hunter, and conservationist, famous for his exploits in south and east of Africa. Selous used a .461 Gibbs Farquharson for much of his African hunting. This is a photo of him on African safari, with two shot Kori bustards and his Holland & Holland Woodward patent rifle. Circa 1890s.

220px-Selous-Rifle-And-Bustards.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Probably a bit of dyslexia creeping in on my side
 
I don't know a 416 Gibbs sounds kinda cool. a 400g bullet at 3000 fps, the mind boggles :)
 
Never heard of this one myself.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,389
Members
170,031
Latest member
BartDescot
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top