416 bullets heavier than 400 grains?

I used 400 grain Swift A Frames and 400 grain Woodleigh hydros. I used maximum hand loads (77 grains of AR2208). Both shoot to the same point and both are very effective.
I'm using 77g AR2208 with the Atomic29 365g monumental projectile and getting good accuracy as well

I'm using 77g AR2208 with the Atomic29 365g monumental projectile and getting good accuracy as well

Hadn’t heard of Atomic 29 so looked it up.
Hmm I must try such.
Thanks

Woodleigh offered a 450Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solid and 450Gr soft point, which Norma used to load in their "PH" line of ammunition.

@PeteG: how should I read this observation? The higher weight causes the recoil to feel more like a push, or the higher weight makes it feel more like a snap?

Is this generally the case? Can others confirm this? Increasing or decreasing the weight of the bullet will have noticeable effects on felt recoil?
I found the 450gr loads at lower velocity more of a push than the 400gr loads at 2,400fps.

I found the 450gr loads at lower velocity more of a push than the 400gr loads at 2,400fps.
Thank you, this is good to know, as it means that just by increasing bullet weight, some felt recoil can be mitigated.

Here is a chart showing repackaged/renamed powders Hodgdon buys from ADI.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 1.59.46 PM.png

77gr of varget is an interesting load, but I run 95 gr of it in my 460 from time to time so
I don't see why it would not work in a 416.

AR2208 which is Australian made and sold in different countries under different labels gives the max velocity and energy.
Personally I think the 400 grain bullet does everything you’d need for nasty critters.

Thank you, this is good to know, as it means that just by increasing bullet weight, some felt recoil can be mitigated.
Grab a box of the 450gr Norma ph ammo and see how it feels for you.
It will be interesting to hear your opinion on the difference, if any.

Grab a box of the 450gr Norma ph ammo and see how it feels for you.
It will be interesting to hear your opinion on the difference, if any.
I'll first need to grab a 416 Rigby...

Working on that however :D Beers: :A Rock:

I have a nice CZ 550 in 416 rigby that was bedded by tripple river and has been threaded for a brake but also has a thread protector so you can run it without the brake. It shoots and feeds great. Stock has some cosmetic dings. I may be putting it up for sale. I bought a Sako last night. Let me know if you are interested.

I have a nice CZ 550 in 416 rigby that was bedded by tripple river and has been threaded for a brake but also has a thread protector so you can run it without the brake. It shoots and feeds great. Stock has some cosmetic dings. I may be putting it up for sale. I bought a Sako last night. Let me know if you are interested.
As I'm in Belgium, that will be a bit difficult for me to import, but thanks a lot for the offer :) much appreciated!

I do have however something a little closer to home in my crosshairs... we'll see if it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross