.404 Jeffery Zero for single island rear sight?

sierraone

AH legend
Joined
Oct 14, 2013
Messages
4,749
Reaction score
5,537
Media
94
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
My .404 J RSM is with the gunsmith which will do the work to return it as much as possible to an original RSM, only in .404 caliber. The question is: Should he zero the single island rear sight at 50 or 100 yards. I will mount a 1.5 x 5 scope on it once it is returned. Because of that the smith advised to leave the current replacement sight on it instead of replacing with a 1 standing and 2 folding leaf island sight similar to the original.

I don't know if I will ever hunt with this rifle, but if I do, if will be for cape buffalo, if that helps.
 
Thanks for your responses. I have advised the gunsmith and he will zero it for 50 yards.
 
50

It is a dangerous game rifle. Animals are only dangerous up close. At distance, you have time to hold over or put the scope on or whatever. Up close, it better hit what you are aiming at without the need for thinking about it.
I agree with Bert the Turtle.
Witold
 
50

Being a DG rifle and with the scope being mounted this would be the better choice. One fixed sight is always better than extra fold down ones(you never use them and they can pop up while stalking through the bush).

A last consideration is that when you take fast backup shots most people tend to shoot high, so practice a 'six o'clock' hold for fast shooting and you should be right on the money.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,259
Messages
1,570,069
Members
168,830
Latest member
EulahBergm
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top