.404 Jeffery Zero for single island rear sight?

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
My .404 J RSM is with the gunsmith which will do the work to return it as much as possible to an original RSM, only in .404 caliber. The question is: Should he zero the single island rear sight at 50 or 100 yards. I will mount a 1.5 x 5 scope on it once it is returned. Because of that the smith advised to leave the current replacement sight on it instead of replacing with a 1 standing and 2 folding leaf island sight similar to the original.

I don't know if I will ever hunt with this rifle, but if I do, if will be for cape buffalo, if that helps.

Thanks for your responses. I have advised the gunsmith and he will zero it for 50 yards.

It is a dangerous game rifle. Animals are only dangerous up close. At distance, you have time to hold over or put the scope on or whatever. Up close, it better hit what you are aiming at without the need for thinking about it.
I agree with Bert the Turtle.
Witold

Being a DG rifle and with the scope being mounted this would be the better choice. One fixed sight is always better than extra fold down ones(you never use them and they can pop up while stalking through the bush).

A last consideration is that when you take fast backup shots most people tend to shoot high, so practice a 'six o'clock' hold for fast shooting and you should be right on the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg