"404 Jeffery" wanted to purchase.

104_2254.jpg
I have purchased my new (100+ year old) W.J. Jeffery - 404 Jeffery!:dancing:

104_2224.jpg
The 13 King Street address puts it as being made in 1914 or before since they moved that year. I have sent an email to try and get the Jeffery ledger for the serial number to see when the rifle was made. My understanding is that this may take awhile. George Caswell has some Jeffery ledgers and thinks the rifle was made around 1909. If any of you have access to records and can help the serial number is 18566.

Thank you to all for your help, comic remarks, PM's and encouragement. (Some of you have helped a lot.) Now the long wait begins until my March hunt when I hope to use it. Hopefully I will be able to sleep between now and then. All the best.

Congrats, I have no idea how you pulled it off, but GREAT JOB!

Congrats, I have no idea how you pulled it off, but GREAT JOB!

Thanks enysse. Just like hunting, the quest is often the most fun.

Welcome to a very special and exclusive club, mate...you're welcome at my fire anytime..!

Welcome to a very special and exclusive club, mate...you're welcome at my fire anytime..!

I am honored. We will have to make that happen one day.

I still haven't heard back from the people that have the Jeffery ledgers but I was doing some internet research on the Mauser actions this weekend. The action was built in 1907. Probably around May. This would probably make my 404 built in 1907 or 1908.

Wheels
Congratulations, I told you, you will get a .404 Jeffery, you just needed to keep asking and looking, now we can start planning a hunt somewhere in Mozambique or Zimbabwe, two .404 Jeffery`s will make a mean team....:thumb:

The following is the information I recently received on my Jeffery. It is great being able to know a little more history about this rifle.

Next year the 106 year old rifle will be taken to Zim for elephant. (Not a safe queen) Hopefully its owner will be able to perform as well as the rifle.

Wish I had only paid 25 pounds!

W.J.Jeffery

Caliber .404 Jeffery
Hair trigger
Mauser action
Horn cap
24" Krupp barrel
Sights from 100 to 500 yards (spring leaves)
Pistol grip with trap in heel
Scroll engraving
Sling eyes
Date of manufacture (completion) 18th June, 1907
Cost to manufacture ï½£13-11-0 (thirteen pounds and eleven shillings)
Selling price ï½£25-0-0 (twenty five pounds)

nothing cooler than having the history on an old big banger, like that wheels .
good pick up .
and all for only 25 quid , ha ha ha

nothing cooler than having the history on an old big banger, like that wheels .
good pick up .
and all for only 25 quid , ha ha ha

Thanks. It took a few months to get the information from the people that have the Jeffery records. They have the records archived and only check when they have enough requests to justify it. They didn't charge. Truly a labor of love on their part. It is my understand that this is all the records they have. I have heard that most records were destroyed in the Battle of Britton.

Wouldn't it be great if old rifles could talk! The things they could tell us that we will never know.

Someday I hope to be able to take it "down under" for a couple of your bovines. Maybe we can share a campfire.

its along way to the buffalo country from my place wheels .
but if im giving enough time to arrange somrthing we work some thing out .
im down the bottom south east part of oz

I have a few more hunts I would like to get in before making it to the "wonderful land of oz". 4-5 years is what I am thinking about for the NT.

Have you ever hunted buff in the NT? The cull hunts sounds like a blast.....or many blasts. Along with a black and blue shoulder.

Maybe we should consider an AH group hunt in the future.

I have a few more hunts I would like to get in before making it to the "wonderful land of oz". 4-5 years is what I am thinking about for the NT.

Have you ever hunted buff in the NT? The cull hunts sounds like a blast.....or many blasts. Along with a black and blue shoulder.

Maybe we should consider an AH group hunt in the future.

Bob,
I'm in the same boat. The idea of a AH group hunt sounds great! Maybe TOM can chime in here. He had a new outfitter there that could maybe put together a good trip. I would be very interested!

Bob,
I'm in the same boat. The idea of a AH group hunt sounds great! Maybe TOM can chime in here. He had a new outfitter there that could maybe put together a good trip. I would be very interested!

Wes,
I am game. We already have to many expensive trips planned for 2014 including a hunt so I know next year is out. Probably 2015 as well but beyond that I could change some plans around.

I have read about Arnhem land group hunts (trophy and cull) on another hunting site and they sound fun. (70 buff in a week each)

Let me know what you find out. I am certainly interested but 2016 would probably be the earliest I can go.

We can also do some shopping at DSC. I may have to spend three days there!

Wes,
I am game. We already have to many expensive trips planned for 2014 including a hunt so I know next year is out. Probably 2015 as well but beyond that I could change some plans around.

I have read about Arnhem land group hunts (trophy and cull) on another hunting site and they sound fun. (70 buff in a week each)

Let me know what you find out. I am certainly interested but 2016 would probably be the earliest I can go.

We can also do some shopping at DSC. I may have to spend three days there!

Sorry...I know were a little off topic...

Same here Bob. I'm working on a Elephant trip for 2015. It would have to be after that. It would be a blast to get a AH group together. I'm sure Bob Puckett would be interested. I'll be in Dallas for a couple of days then Vegas for 5 days......this could be trouble!!!!!

Sorry...I know were a little off topic...

Same here Bob. I'm working on a Elephant trip for 2015. It would have to be after that. It would be a blast to get a AH group together. I'm sure Bob Puckett would be interested. I'll be in Dallas for a couple of days then Vegas for 5 days......this could be trouble!!!!!

So many hunts.....so little money or time!

Although I haven't made it to the dark continent yet, I have been to Oz and have a nice buff for the result. Those things are a blast along with the donkeys and scrub bulls.
2015 is my target for either there or Africa.

Mike,

If you do Africa in 2015 then we might have the beginnings of a group hunt to Oz in 2016.

Who did you hunt with in Oz?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg